• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Which engine for Shag?

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
I need to make a decision for no fairy has decided for me. I was going to stroke a 302 to maybe 331, but what about stroking a 351? Can a T5 handle a 351? Shag will NOT be going to the track.

gotta love the a 393/408/427, but it's a bit more expensive.
roller 351s are hard to come by, whereas roller 302s are common.
a T5 can probably handle a stroked 351, unless you put some really sticky tires on it.
you can build and stroke a 302 pretty wildly so unless your project is all-out, i'd recommend the 302 route.

I'd have to disagree. Even T5z's are only rated to 330ft-lbs. A mild 351W build will easily exceed this number, let alone a 393. I've talked to many 5.0 fox body guys who've broken them with nothing but bolt-ons under the hood.

You may be able to get away with a T5z behind a very mild 331 if you're not going to be lead-footing it. My 331 is sitting right on that 330ft-lb mark and I'm opting for a TKO.

Craig,

I think you'll have just as much fun with a 331 as you would a stroked 351W. It'll be easier on the rest of the drivetrain to run the smaller motor... and it'll be cheaper!

yeah let me clarify what i was getting at.

if you're at a point in the project where you need to decide on an engine, and your budget doesn't allow for a tranny upgrade at this time, go as big as you think you need or can afford, since it's alot of work/bucks to re-do the engine down the road.
Just don't do any full throttle burnouts on sticky tires (since you said Shaq will not be going to the track). And you can still have fun doing smoky burnouts on non-sticky tires :naughty
Your T5 can live a long time if you don't abuse it.

in my case, i built the biggest, baddest 351 stroked to 427 I could, then stuck a home-built C4 behind it, cuz that's what I had and all I could afford. I'm always on the lookout for a pro-built C4 at the right price, but until that time I'm out enjoying cruising and racing her (NO SLICKS!).
(and the torque of that stroked 351 is like a religious experience!).

but I'll stand behind my original post that a good 302 is lots and lots of fun!

Well since you've lived your life convincing others smaller is really bigger :rof than why change now :naughty If I were you which thankfully I'm not :icon_jokercolor: I would go with the 302, but what do I know :doh

Thanks for all the info people. Since I already have a T5 which is rated at 330, I just might consider staying with my original plans. I'm sure I can have a fair amount of fun with a 331, T5 & 3.50 posi. Besides, why do I need all those braggin rights? They'll just eat up my pocket book further than it already is.

"cmayna" said:
Besides, why do I need all those braggin rights? They'll just eat up my pocket book further than it already is.

Your right Craig why would anyone who regularly wears a Mankini need something to brag about, but just where do you carry your Pocket Book when your in your favorite attire? My Mom used to have a pocket book but must admit to never owning one

I would recommend a nice 200 cid engine. You can't go anywhere fast anyway in the Bay area, so why even bother? It'll save you money and you'd be concours correct as well.

408/427 with a TURBO! Can you say 700 reliable hp (if there is such a thing) Sell that T5z and get yourself a Viper spec T56. Oh wait, that is what I am going to do with my next build.

My build is no where near yours, but then, I like to plan ahead. I decided I wanted to go EFI for the reliability. Then I bought a 5.0 roller that had already been rebuilt by ford, .030. Knowing I am going to go SC at some point, I originally thought 347, but then I started reading about the reliability factor of a stroked engine. Then I decided 331 was a good compromise. So that's what I have decided to do. Bigger isn't always better, you can get those big cube horses by supercharging!

In fact if you are in the market, Summitracing has a Vortech for $1809 with a $250 rebate=$1559!

Link

I have a mid 70's 351 windsor, and a 69 302 out in the shed, neither are roller motors--you can have either one if you want to pick em up!

Briggs&Stratton, 4 stroke. Thats what i used to tell people I had in my first Mustang, you would be surprised how many people would say, Whoaa, that thing must haul @$$......

Back