• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Which transmission would you choose?

A T-5z or a Tremec 3550?

• T-5Z

Votes: 4 57.1%

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
We used a TKO600 on my sons '68FB w/o any tunnel mods. We had to trim maybe .25" off the forward right corner of the shifter opening to create a little breathing room for the mini-tower shifters rubber boot.

The T5Z is probably more economical unless you're using a BB motor, then I think you'd want to step up to something capable of handling more TQ.

Dave

A Ford wide-ratio toploader. Hard to beat for reliability and sheer strength.

You didn't say what you wanted your tranny to do...

"cmayna" said:
Rick,
What engine are you installing ?

Dis juan

541371_401_full.jpg

541371_402_full.jpg

FINALLY.

i have searched far and wide for a engine pic with those valve covers installed because i want them for my car and didnt know if i should leave the block blue or paint it black. can you post some more pics please?

Its the onle pic I have of mine, but I can take more. I think I'm going to take the aircleaner to a powdercoater and see if they can match the valve covers, either that or swap it for a K&N lid.

These are the pics that inspired my choice.

2_06_08_08_6_04_49.jpg

2_06_08_08_6_06_46.jpg

Even a halfway-decent 347 build is likely to start breaking things in even a T5z, which still has a torque rating of 330ft-lbs. I don't feel comfortable putting one behind my 331. If you want a T5, I'd recommend looking at a G-Force or Texas Motorsports unit.

G-Force units have "unlimited" power ratings, although I probably still wouldn't put one behind a healthy big block. Ford Racing offers a couple 5sp performance transmissions as well with high power ratings.

I am currently running a non-wc t5 behind my blown small block that has just over 400 rwhp and 414 rwtq. I am saving my money for the eventual kaboom. I have narrowed my options down to the GForce t5 or the TKO600. The main reason I would go with the GForce tranny is I woundn't have to get a new bracket for my JMC clutch or a new crossmember. I have heard that the Gforce trannies are a bit nosier than the TKO600's. I have also heard of shifting problems with TKO's while under heavy loads. The both will require a new clutch because of the input shaft and both require a new yoke. I likely will go with the GForce unit. The swap for me would be as simple as changing the clutch.

Bruce over at Modern Driveline advised me that I didn't need anything more than a T5Z. He said I will have traction problems (which I surely do ;D) and I won't be taking it to the strip. Heck my tranny out of the 88 donor mustang seems to be doing fine. Granted I have only driven it 50 miles and really not that hard.

Throw on the Z and upgrade gears later.

Just dont go romping on it. ~flam

I have a wide ratio 4 speed toploader behind my 383 stroker running mid to upper 400s in horsepower and torque. The tranny is doing great, but the clutch is getting smoked. I just ordered a Street/Strip Hays clutch and pressure plate to try and hold it. When I try to do 3500-4000 rpm launches, it totally burns up; however, the tranny shifts great all the way up to 7000rpm.

It is odd that this topic has come up now. It looks like I may have a leaky rear main seal and figure that I might as well do the tranny upgrade now so that I don't have to redo everything in a couple months. I have narrowed my choice down to 2 trannys that are versions of the T5. I am going to either use a GForce T5 or and Astro Performance A5. It seems like the astro A5 has a slight advantage but will cost me about $250 more. Does anyone have any experience with these transmissions? Know a place to get a good deal on one.

The only place I know to get the Astro tranny is http://www.astroperformance.com/ and would cost about $2,650 with a Hays clutch. I would buy the G-Force from CJ Pony Parts and join the herd membership. I could save 15% by purchasing it through them on a Friday internet order and would run just over $2,400 with a Fidanza clutch.

Thanks for the help.

I think both those transmissions are custom builds and only available at the manufacturer. A good place to look is KKPONY.com, he bought a G-force to put behind his MONSTER stroker and ended up selling it and going with a T5z........

I don't see any mention on his page about replacing it with a T5z. It looks like he was running a racing straight-cut gear/dog ring G-Force T5 and replaced it with a helical gear/syncro G-Force T5 from Modern Driveline. His engine is ridiculous; it would absolutely destroy a T5z, which is still only rated at 330ft-lbs.

Back