• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Which transmission would you choose?

A T-5z or a Tremec 3550?

• T-5Z

Votes: 4 57.1%

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
I purchased a G-Force T5 from Modern Driveline, and I had problems with 5th gear syncros going out within the first few hundred miles.

I sent it back a few weeks ago, and Bruce found the problem. He had to do some extra machining to make the G-Force gear set fit correctly. The 5th gear drive shaft diameter was a bit too large, which caused the seals & syncros to go out only after a few hundred miles. Bruce found that all the G-Force gear sets he has in his shop have this same problem. This tells me that G-Force quality control is not what it should be.

Bruce is finishing up the fixes, and the trans will be shipped back to me next week. Unfortunately, since my car won't be out of the paint shop until late Sept and I won't have the engine & trans back in the car until November'ish, it's going to be a while before I get to test it out.

With all this said, Modern Driveline has been a great vendor, and while G-Force won't guarantee their gear sets, Bruce has stood behind his work to address my problems. I have a feeling that Modern Driveline won't be selling/installing G-Force gear sets much more (or at all), because I'm sure it's cost him time and money to fix these issues.

I ended up going with a T56. It should be here in the next week and will do the install in the next month or so. I spoke with Bruce and he said he is not going to do anything with G Force trannies any more. It looks like your problem was not an isolated incident.

Back