• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wiring bundle sizes? - engine bay

Jonk67

Hi all, I want to pick up some wiring sleeving at McMaster Carr while I'm passing through ATL for work.
What is the general thickness of the wiring harnesses in the engine bay > main harness heading down the drivers apron, headlight wiring at the front frame rail, alt/VR wiring harness along the front frame rail,etc?

I just need a thickness to buy some sleeving to slip over them as it comes in 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1", etc. I don't want it to be too small or obnoxiously large. I'll probably pick up a few 3ft. lengths of a couple sizes but don't want to get 1/4" if it's too small to fit any or 1" if it's way too large. Forgot to measure before I left the house Mon.
Thanks, Jon

As the light harness progresses along the driver's side and then down and across, various wires feed out of the harness. Thus, the harness diameter reduces in size along the way.

Any idea what size it starts at? ~1/2"? I just need a close guess for inner diam. of the sleeving I'm getting and it self closes but doesn't seal so the wires can still exit the sleeving at any point.
Jon

The light harness starts out at a touch under 1/2", but foglamps and washer pumps add to the diameter. I'd go with the 3/4".

I bought the powerbraid stuff from Painless

I orderd 1/2 and 3/4 and used both in my engine bay.

http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,1303.0.html

This is the 1/2

2_21_03_09_4_51_45_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the 3/4 under the solenoid where the wires are larger diameter. Maybe 12 inches or so. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

These are the wires I have in the 3/4, I still have quite a bit of it left. Couldnt find a picture of them wrapped.

2_21_02_09_7_02_55_3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back