• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

wiring question

66gt350

Ok...I'm looking at getting rid of some of my under hood and under dash wires, and I wanna double check to make sure that they aren't used for anything else.

I no longer have the stock dash, so I'm not using the ammeter gauge anymore. There's red and yellow wires going between it and the starter relay. And from what I can tell from the wiring diagrams, that all they are there for. Same thing with the pink resistor wire. I'm no longer using the stock coil, I've got a Mallory Hifire VII in there, and it feeds off of 12 volts, so that wire is just sitting there. Do those wire's have any other purpose in life? Can I grab the wire cutters and remove those wires or should I leave 'em?

thanks
-rob

You can remove all three wires without problems from their originating point to the firewall.

Kewl thanks. What about in the engine bay? there's the yellow wire that looks like it ties in to the alt. harness with a bullet connector. I'm assuming that not being used. At the moment I have that wiring harness layed out in the middle of the living room floor. Luckily the SWMBO is very patient with me and all of this wiring...not sleeping in car, yet!!!

I'm sorry...I meant within the engine compartment for the yellow and red lines. If you cut them off at the battery and alternator area and at the firewall plug, then everything is A-OK. The pink wire can be left alone or taken out, so long as you have another line connected to the proper pin on the key ignition switch going to the coil (or ignition system) and the starter solenoid that is only hot when in ON, CRANK, but not ACC.

Does everything work ok right now?

I'm curious as to what is to gain by cutting out those wires. You are still going to have a taped up harness crossing through the engine compartment with or without those wires removed, so what is to gain by cutting them out?

If it wasn't for the fact that Midlife doesn't do headlight harnesses, I'd accuse him of drumming up work for himself by telling you what wires to cut knowing he'll be the one to replace them for a future owner. :)

Yes, everything worked before the surgery. The reason I'm doing this is to clean up the engine compartment. Since I'm no longer running a stock alternator or gauges, there were several wires and plugs not being used anymore. I didn't think it looked very clean having several plugs just hanging not connected to anything. There won't be a next owner for the car, I'm gonna get buried in it. :craz

Back