• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

wont start

RustyRed

I installed a Pertronix deal the other evening. Finally got a chance to try and start it today and it wont start.

I think the directions say hook the red wire up to something that is only hot with the ignition if this is the case.

What under the hood would be hot with the ignition that I could hook it to since the plus side of the coil apparently isnt going to work.o

I thought both the red and black wires went to the coil..opposite sides....at least that is what I remember from the Pertronix I in my last '66.

That's how I have mine hooked up and that is actually what the instructions say. But in the trouble shooting guide it then says if the car won't start or runs rough then you have a low volts problem.

First off I guess I should figure out if my car has a ballast resistor. If I do it says to attach the red wire to the ignition wire before the resistor.

If no resistor then the trouble shoot page says to connect the red wire to a 12 volt source that is controlled by the ignition switch.

Not sure exactly how to wire it at the moment. Trying to think of a source controlled by the ignition that is somewhat close to the distributor...well, the closer the better anyway.

Any hot source would work as a temporary power to the coil. With the key in the on position, are you getting voltage to the coil? My Pertronix I had worked fine with 7-9 volts to the coil with the factory resistor wire in place. You might want to stick the points back in and see if there is another problem.

Back