• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

would like some 12 volt very soon

Dne'

I'd like to hook up some electrical stuff to 12volt to start checking things. I need to wire my Flaming river column into my already existing circutry. I'm just going to mount my battery under the hood instead of in the trunk(keep it simple). I can mount the solenoid, and connect the wires that came from under the dash, through the firewall, through the radiator support and over to the solenoid. I need to wire in my Classic air conditioning, start connecting things where they belong under the dash. Midlife reworked my under the dash wiring harness, so all should be well there. I just don't want to smoke anything! Im not sure which wires go where on the solenoid. I made a mistake in ordering a 100amp alternator with an internal regulator. I thought I may need it for electric fans. I would like the original alternator and be able to use the regulator that mounts on the firewall. Any quams regarding this?

When I do connect, do i just touch it to the solenoid post and make sure it doesn't spark, like something is not connected correctly? then proceed?

I still have to install my ignition switch.

the only thing that is actually connected is my wiper motor. that was easy.
The headlight switch should be a no brainer
Ignition switch~ no brainer
Any advice would be appreciated!
dne'

My instructions I gave you in writing with the harness work well with this. Here's what you do:

Connect everything up except the battery. Connect the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid. Now use a volt-ohm meter set to DC current, and measure the current between the disconnected negative battery cable and the negative post on the battery. With everything turned off on the car (don't forget headlamps, cigarette lighter, door lights, etc.), you should see a current draw of 100 milliamps or less. Anything greater than that (like 1 or more amps) indicates a short somewhere. If you have high current draw, first remove fuses one by one, and retest the current draw. You'll likely see a great drop in current; if so, the fuse that lowered the current indicates the circuit that has the draw. If the draw is still high after all fuses are pulled, start by removing the voltage regulator plug and re-test the current draw. If still high, start removing wires from the starter solenoid one by one, retesting after every removal. Eventually, you'll see the current drop. The wire that you removed that lowers the current draw is the offending wire.

After you fixed everything, re-test your current draw. Only connect the battery if your current draw is 100 milliamps or less.

Thanks!

I knew you would come through for me Midlife! I probably have those instructions in the garage somewhere, but you know how that goes! I'll follow your instructions closely! Kind of excited to see things light up! :pep

Mid's instructions are spot on. The Painless Wiring manual recommends that when everything is finally wired up/connected, the system be first connected to a battery charger instead of a battery. While it's still a 12V signal, the charger is supplying far fewer amps that could/would limit the amount of damage should something be wired catastrophically wrong.

Back