• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wrench

Which style wrenches would you want to have as part of your arsenal?

• Standard Combination Wrench

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Ratcheting Combination Wrench

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

abrahamfh

I was at Sears the other day looking over all the different styles of wrenches that they have, and the only differences that I was concerned over the most was whether I would choose standard or ratcheting wrenches. My current situation with this tool is that I have the ones that came with my socket set, two standard wrenches with 7/16" : 3/8" on one and 1/2" : 5/8" on the other.

Ratcheting style wrench
07a0b666.jpg

Standard style wrench
c2fb743f.jpg

Send in your vote and if you can add a brief description as to why you voted the way you did.

I like old-style tools that don't have mechanical parts that can break.

I have a 1937 3/4 and 25/32 Blackhawk offset wrench that is indestructible. How long do you think a ratcheting wrench will last?

Ideally, you'd want both. The regular ones to break loose and tighten fasteners and the ratcheting ones to make quick work of the removal and installation.

Frank

I have and use both. I was reluctant for a long time to buy the ratcheting type. I wish I would have gotten them sooner. They have their typical little bugs like most mechanical tools do but hey they are craftsman. Get a replacement for free.

Since you are just starting out in your tool collection, the standard wrenches get my vote. If you can afford both, buy both, but if it were me, I'd buy the standard and use the extra for other tools. You are only saving elbow grease and a few seconds with the ratcheting wrenches.

You will find that the ratcheting mechanism is wider, thus requiring more space between the nut/bolt and your wrench. I have both, survived forever on the standard, and many times, I find that the ratcheting wrench is just to big for the nuts/bolts I am working on, but I need the boxed end wrench and not the open end, and so I always go back to my standard wrench, besides, in most cases my good old 3/8 ratchet gets the job done. The standard wrench is like changing the channels on the tv, at the set, at times, it is a little inconvenient, but it is reliable, unlike the remote which may need a battery or need to be held at an exact angle to get the job done.

I have both, but I have been collecting tools a long time. If I had to choose between them I would buy the regular wrench. The reason is it is more versatile than the ratcheting one.

In my shop I have air tools and use them every time I can. When woodworking I use air tools even have a drill. When working on the cars I use air tools when they will fit. When they won't I reach for standard tools to break things loose. Then I reach for the ratcheting wrench for removal. When I have to use two wrenches on each side it is nice if one is a ratcheting one. Sockets get less use as a result of the ratcheting wrenches.

Mel

My ratcheting wrenches hang above my work bench. It's the first thing I reach for. I don't know how i worked on cars without ratcheting wrenches. You definitely want the kind in the picture that are reverse-able. I have another set where you flip them over to reverse ... those screwed me up a couple times when there wasn't enough room for the bolt to clear.

Buy a decent set of ratcheting wrenches and you can always pick up some craftsman or other brand name wrenches at garage sales and flea markets a lot cheaper. Look for craftsman since they are easy to replace if you break one.

"Midlife" said:
I like old-style tools that don't have mechanical parts that can break.

I have a 1937 3/4 and 25/32 Blackhawk offset wrench that is indestructible. How long do you think a ratcheting wrench will last?

So far, about 9 years on the Gear Wrench brand I have, despite my hammering on them to break bolts loose - :amaz

Like most people, I have an use both the standard and ratcheting. I have run into a couple of times that I couldn't get the ratcheting end of the wrench on the nut. The ratcheting does add a little bit of thickness to the wrench. So, if it's a tight fit between the nut and something, you might not be able to the get the ratcheting wrench on the nut. Then it's time to grab the standard wrench.

i like them both. like any tool, some are better suited for certain jobs than others, but i use my standard fixed & ratcheting wrenches about 50/50. i also keep a box of extras picked up at yard sales etc cheap. those are handy if i need a "specialty" wrench. i grab one from the box & bend/cut/ weld to the desired shape needed. i've got some around here that have been modified to the point of needing to be donated to a modern art museum :lol

My ratchet wrenches are usually the first ones I grab when I need a wrench. Agree that you should get both or if starting out, get the standard wrenches. Std. wrenches are more versatile and are less likely to break.

Like the others, I use both types... plus I have some of the more common sizes in both "short" versions, and also some that have an option to change the head angle to get into difficult areas... they are high end ones with really short "clicks". Only drawback so far, as someone said is the head can be too big on occasion...

I'm not sure which ratchet wrenches I have, but they came with the 1/4 and 3/8 socket attachments so you can use them with the wrenches. Its very handy as they are much narrower than a typical ratchet. I use them quite a bit in tight spaces. Only downside is the rubber grommets snapped on both of them so I have a hard time keeping attachments in the wrenches.

Thanks everyone for all of your input, I decided to head down to Sears later today and pick up a full set of Standard Wrenches to begin the collection with the basics and then later down the road purchase the Ratchet style Wrenches. It seems as though having both is really the way to go which makes total sense.
Thanks again everyone

I would have told you to get the GearWrench brand ratcheting wrenches. They have replaced my Craftsmans. I can't remember the last time I used a "regular" wrench, except for nuts/bolts larger than my biggest GearWrench...

On my way to Sears, I figured I better take a look online first and compare prices on other brands. I ended up eyeing a set made by snap on, I think I got a pretty good deal. The set came missing a few necessary wrenches (1/4, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8 purchased and on the shipping truck, 7/16, and 5/8). I just told myself I gotta start somewhere. LoL. I will be purchasing the missing wrenches within next week, but will probably sell the doubled up 9/16 and 11/16 to help fund the purchase of the others. Thanks again for everyones help.

DSC_2876.jpg

"abrahamfh" said:
I will be purchasing the missing wrenches within next week, but will probably sell the doubled up 9/16 and 11/16 to help fund the purchase of the others.
DSC_2876.jpg

I wouldn't be so fast to sell off the doubles. They get used quite often on thru-bolt applications.

Hit some pawn shops and flea markets in your area. You're bound to find lots of used hand tools. Just be sure to buy only quality branded stuff.

Back