• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1973 351 Cleveland

I got the 351 Cleveland in my 1973 Mach 1 running a few weeks back. After that I believe the original fuel pump went out on it. Because we ran the engine straight out of a gas can which worked fine after some failed attempts resulting in backfires in the carb. But when we got it running it ran as smooth as it could considering it has a cam in it. I love the sound. Back on track though. It hasn't ran since then and I believe it is the Fuel pump because it won't even get gas to the fuel filter. Am I right or is it probably something completely different?

I'm a little confused with what you are asking. Have you put gas in the tank and attempted to pump the gas up to the filter or carb?

If you need a good mechanical pump for your cleveland, I use and recommend Holley.

"cmayna" said:
I'm a little confused with what you are asking. Have you put gas in the tank and attempted to pump the gas up to the filter or carb?

If you need a good mechanical pump for your cleveland, I use and recommend Holley.

I did not put or pump any gas into the Carb or the filter from the tank because the gas was turned to varnish, so I ran the gas out of a plain old plastic gas tank, those used to fill up lawn mowers and such, and it ran well after it finally got started. But I have tried the same trick since then just to keep it starting where it doesn't sit a while and It wont get gas to the filter much less the carb from the small gas tank. But it did before.

Try sitting the gas can up at a level higher than the fuel pump. The manual pumps don't have a strong suction to pull the fuel up hill to much. My '66 would not run until I hung the 2 gallon can close to the level of the tank.

"AzPete" said:
Try sitting the gas can up at a level higher than the fuel pump. The manual pumps don't have a strong suction to pull the fuel up hill to much. My '66 would not run until I hung the 2 gallon can close to the level of the tank.

When it wouldn't run it was sitting in the trunk. Before when it did work it was sitting on the ground behind the car, i tried moving it and it still didn't work.

Check to see if one of the steel rubber lines is loose or cracked. If the pump sucks air before the gas, it will not run. Otherwise, you could have a pump gone bad.

"AzPete" said:
Check to see if one of the steel rubber lines is loose or cracked. If the pump sucks air before the gas, it will not run. Otherwise, you could have a pump gone bad.

Can that happen in two hours? because thats how long between it running and it not running happened. lol

Fuel pump could have ruptured internally.

Carefully pour some (cap full) gas down the carb and see if it starts that way. That will tell you if it still runs.

Do you have gas in the can and the hose end in the gas??? Had to ask. :lol

"AzPete" said:
Fuel pump could have ruptured internally.

Carefully pour some (cap full) gas down the carb and see if it starts that way. That will tell you if it still runs.

Do you have gas in the can and the hose end in the gas??? Had to ask. :lol

lol, yes I did have gas in the can, and the hose end in the gas lol. And we tried priming the carb as you said, and it would just crank and try to start. So what do you do if it did rupture internally?

If it did not start from the priming, you may have other issues. It should fire on a small amount of gas.

There is a diaphram in the fuel pump that starts leaking. Best to replace it. You can pull the pump and actuate it by hand and check at the inlet side for suction. If it has suction against your finger, it is most likely good.

"AzPete" said:
If it did not start from the priming, you may have other issues. It should fire on a small amount of gas.

There is a diaphram in the fuel pump that starts leaking. Best to replace it. You can pull the pump and actuate it by hand and check at the inlet side for suction. If it has suction against your finger, it is most likely good.

Like I said it was its first breathe from a 20 year slumber. It took her a while to wake up, with some conveniences such as backfires in the carb, and dying after being started for a few seconds. Finnaly it just started running like a dream, but later in the day i had the idea id try to move her under her own power and tried starting her like i previously tried and it wasn't getting any gas to the engine.

Even though you are using fresh gas from a can, you may have crap in the lines from it's sleepy time out from life. Take the lines loose from the fuel pump and the tank and blow air from the front to the back....This blows the trash back in the direction it moved in from, not locking it in more.

You can also move you fuel source to the fuel pump with a short hose to see if it will start.

"AzPete" said:
Even though you are using fresh gas from a can, you may have crap in the lines from it's sleepy time out from life. Take the lines loose from the fuel pump and the tank and blow air from the front to the back....This blows the trash back in the direction it moved in from, not locking it in more.

You can also move you fuel source to the fuel pump with a short hose to see if it will start.

could this still happen even though I ran clean gas through the tank until it started to run out clean?

Yes. The old gas turns to varnish on the inner walls of the lines. As the new gas softens it, it can come loose and plug the lines. I also have had a ribber line come apart internally and a flap of rubber would flop around and stop the flow of gas.

Try pulling the filter and changing it kevin. Then take off the lines and clean them then try again. If that does not get it you may want to pull your plugs and clean them, they might be fouled with gunk. Technical term for the crap that sits in motors for 20 years. BTW I would not start it again without flushing that engine with some kind of engine cleaner. At the very least start it and allow it to idle for 10 minutes then pour engine flush in it and let it run for 10 more minutes than change your oil and filter. That way you do not damage the engine while you are playing with it.

If you need to get another mechanical pump, consider Holley's 12-854. It's a good match for a cleveland.

The manual fuel pump is clogged with tarnished gas, I tried hooking gas straight to it, and it wouldnt even pump it. I have a new Bosch Premium Electric Fuel pump to go on her. What wiring harness and regulator do i need? And shouldnt i mount the pump close to the tank?

Back