• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

22 gallon tank swap

Im in so cal. I know in some of the other stats you guys have the pumps with the metal filler and no rubber surround. In so cal we have a rubber boot that seals around gas fill hole. Do you know with that set up at the gas station if there are still issues?

I have filled rental cars out there but never my Mustang. I made one for Crusty's Mustang out there and Cymana has made some mods to his as well to address the problem. I believe it is still an issue....

Craig,

I just ran out of gas with my new tank but could only put 18 gallons in. I suspect that the siphon tube is not low enough. I now have an extra gallon container filled in the trunk and will run it out of gas again to check.

Just something else to check before the power tour. Do not want you to run out when you think you still should have plenty to go.

thanks for the heads up John. I put only 5 gallons (what I drained from the 16 gallon tank) back in. I will run it as low as I can to see if I have the same issue.
Once I have filled up a couple times to determine if this design works, I will make yours.

keep me up to date on that as well. if it works I want one as well. I still have that brake booster you wanted as well we can do a swap or something for one :thum

"janschutz" said:
Craig,

I just ran out of gas with my new tank but could only put 18 gallons in. I suspect that the siphon tube is not low enough. I now have an extra gallon container filled in the trunk and will run it out of gas again to check.

Just something else to check before the power tour. Do not want you to run out when you think you still should have plenty to go.
What size tank are you running, John? 20, or 22?

"Midlife" said:
"janschutz" said:
Craig,

What size tank are you running, John? 20, or 22?

OK, Stepping in late......

John,
If you have a 22 tank, why could you only put in 18 gallons? What was preventing you from going all the way to 22 gallon? Do you have a stock or modified filler neck?

I think he is saying the pick-up is not low enough in the tank to fully utilize all the fuel that is in the tank, therefore he "ran out" with gas still in the tank. If I understand him correctly

"tarafied1" said:
I think he is saying the pick-up is not low enough in the tank to fully utilize all the fuel that is in the tank, therefore he "ran out" with gas still in the tank. If I understand him correctly
You are correct Craig. At least that is what I think. I have about another 100 miles to drive until I know for sure.

When I run out, I will put the extra gallon in to get me home and then drain the tank to verify and hopefully correct.

I assume it's a 22 gallon sending unit? Does the sock on the inlet tube extend the length of the inlet tube or is it only a filter? Some socks are an extention while some are not. When you say you could only install 18 gallons, was it because you know for sure you filled it all the way because you already had some gas in the tank or was it causing a back splash issue?

OH please. At least answer one of my previous questions so I can understand better.

Again:

We're you only able to install 18 gallons because:

a) you already had installed some gas prior to
b) The tank was empty and back splash was preventing you from installing more than 18 gallons.

"68angrypony" said:
Im in so cal. I know in some of the other stats you guys have the pumps with the metal filler and no rubber surround. In so cal we have a rubber boot that seals around gas fill hole. Do you know with that set up at the gas station if there are still issues?

Unless they have changed the nozzles since I left CA (1994) it still splashes out but not as bad.

After I ran out of gas, I rolled into a gas station. My belief was that it was empty although it had not been enough miles since last fill up to have used it all. After 18.43 gallons, gas came out of the fuel inlet. I could not add any more, I tried thinking that was not enough gas to be empty. I also looked into the inlet and saw gas all the way up.

Hope that answers your questions.

Back