• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'66FB GT "Slick Guzzo" Upgrade Build-Up

Re: '66FB GT Upgrade Build-Up

Ya know, with all the work your doing on the car, building up the motor, updating the brakes, upgrades to suspension, dont skimp on fixing these issues. Your best bet is probably to either build or buy a shock tower reinforcing kit and fix it right the first time. You start throwing a lot of new torque and body flex to that kinda stuff and your just asking for trouble.

A couple good articles for you
http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/shockandfall/shockfall1.htm
http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/chassis/index.html

i hear all ya. i'm going to grind to bare metal and see where the bad metal is and let you guys see it for yourselves. picture coming next.

To make those pieces would require some heavy bending equipment, which I don't have. There's no other place that sells them... anyone?

Take a look at the article I linked, look where they are mounted on the car, then make cardboard templates and take them to a metal shop and have them made for $100.

actually, those articles linked don't show shock tower reinforcement, but i found an image...

how often should i start the engine? every month? the '66 is on jack stands on the frame rails... is it dangerous?

"hivewax" said:
how often should i start the engine? every month? the '66 is on jack stands on the frame rails... is it dangerous?

No need to start it if you added some fuel stabilizer to it. Mine sits for 5 months every winter, up on stands.

I run mine all the time while on stands.

"silverblueBP" said:
I run mine all the time while on stands.

With a picture of a PT cruiser on the wall in front of him.....

Just so he doesn't get outa practice! :dumas

"70_Fastback" said:

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

okay, studying the image above with this one below... i cannot find the trapezoid plate. i only see 6 pieces in the above image.

"70_Fastback" said:

Please, please come to the track tomorrow so's I can kick you in the nuts :bird

"hivewax" said:
okay, studying the image above with this one below... i cannot find the trapezoid plate. i only see 6 pieces in the above image.

I'm still not sold on this kit if it's going over rust holes. I'd concentrate on either fixing what you have or replace the towers, then reinforce them if you are so inclined. This kit looks like an add on for intact towers, IMO (which is only worth two-fitty)

"70_Fastback" said:
LOL! You still made about the phone thing?? :rofl

Mad? not hardly...laughing, YES!

changing or replacing the shock towers may seam intimidating but it's not that bad. especially if the frame rails are okay. Now IS the best time to do it too.

eh, taking out the engine in the limited spaced garage would be the problem... need to make more room if i have to do that. especially with all these new parts boxes that came in.

Back