• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

69 Fastback

dking is one of my officers in my company and has been looking for a mach 1 or boss 302 since the deployment. I sent him the forum way to seek the advice of some of the gurus.

"fordrule" said:
dking is one of my officers in my company and has been looking for a mach 1 or boss 302 since the deployment. I sent him the forum way to seek the advice of some of the gurus.

So he's not in the states? Have him PM me...I really do have a bunch of '69s and I'm contemplating thinning of the herd, although no decisions have been made yet.

Too bad Scary wasn't still available.

dking, I know of this 70 boss 302........but it sounds like you are after a 69.

he is back. We got back from the deployment in dec.

@deadstang what do you have and what are you contemplating of thinning. I am just trying to help him out

Thanks for the replies. Guess I didn't realize I was bypassing forum protocol by getting to the point.

DeadStang. Sure, lets talk! Let me know what you might be thinning.

"dking" said:
Thanks for the replies. Guess I didn't realize I was bypassing forum protocol by getting to the point.

DeadStang. Sure, lets talk! Let me know what you might be thinning.

Forum Protocol.....around here......now that is funny.

"fordrule" said:
come on guys be easy on him...lol .. dont scare him off he is a nice guy and wants a stang lol
It's all Craig's fault :char .......the rest of us had nothing to do with it. :pbj

"Sluggo" said:
Don't sweat it. No biggie.

+1

I have no problems with someone getting straight to the point. Not everyone who owns (or in this case wants to own) a classic Mustang is an internet social butterfly.

Welcome aboard Mr. King (I'm guessing).

*cough* captain *cough* King ...lol

how hard is it to find a boss 302 motor that needs to be rebuilt? and how much do they run?

*cough* captain *cough* King ...lol

how hard is it to find a boss 302 motor that needs to be rebuilt? and how much do they run?

Captain to you, Mr. to me. I retired 10 years and exactly 14 days ago and Mr. works just fine.

IRT to answering your question, I imagine it would be a "quite costly" undertaking. While it's possible that a "good deal" might be found, that possibility is very remote. For a 100% complete rebuildable original BOSS engine I imagine the price would be in the $10-20k region. Check out the below linked eBay auction.... OE BOSS parts are difficult to come by and the price tag reflects.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-BOSS-302-MUSTANG-AIR-CLEANER-SNORKEL-ORIGINAL-/160508186206?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255f088e5e

My advice would be to source an entire "as close to original" car as possible. Buying someone else's finished moneypit would be FAR cheaper in the long run than starting your own new moneypit. Depending on condition, expect to pay anywhere from $30k (missing many OE parts and in need of major repairs) up to the $150k area for a "perfect" car.

Good luck. Personally, I'd build a knockoff BOSS before I spent that kind of money.

wowsers...i had no idea. but you could also make a boss clone motor and try and piece a actual boss motor ...

cool.gif

here is 2 links to some street bosses

mdmp_1011_02_o+ford_boss_302_engine_build+302_boss_ngine_replica.jpg

mdmp_1011_17_o+ford_boss_302_engine_build+engine_dyno.jpg

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/engine/mdmp_1011_ford_boss_302_engine_build/index.html <--awesome read, this is more the hi-po build

http://tomsmustangbarn.tripod.com/sbossbuild.htm <--- informative read also and this is more the ford tooling build.

I have actually been thinking of saving up and building one of them and dress it vintage...the heads and intake manifold are the most expensive part. But if you found a solid enough roller and had the funds for the motor I would buy one of these setups....

here is the CHI head site..the CHI heads are the more performance heads you can always go with the edelbrock setup also
http://www.chiheads.com.au/cylinder_heads_ford.php

Edelbrock performer top end kit #2059. clevor kit. cleveland heads on a 302
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/power_package/tek_ford.shtml

Dave,
Thanks for the advice. The more and more I look around the more I'm leaning toward getting one that has some original parts and pieces but not complete, or a clone...only because of the $ factor. I'm a realist, I'm not going to be able to spend that kind of money.

What is your take on crate engines?

depends on what on the crate. you can buy a shortblock and add the heads and intake and everything togo together. crate motors from ford tend to run highter. there is a couple good companies that you can get a longblock from(block and heads)..Id almost say go after a roller that just needs a motor

What is your take on crate engines?

All of the homework has been done for you.... and you usually get some kind of warranty. The bad news is that this again can get pricey. High HP usually = high $$$$.

If you are patient.... and I strongly recommend patience.... the "right" deal will come along.

When building my sons car, which now has receipts over six figures, we looked at the various crate engines available. His budget was "high", but I strongly encouraged him to be patient as we were really in no rush for an engine right away. Sure enough after a few months of looking, a straight from the machine shop 351W block appeared on eBay. The engine had a Camshaft already professionally installed that was within our intentions and also came with new in the box Edelbrock RPM cylinder heads, Edelbrock RPM Intake Manifold, Edelbrock Carb, 7qt. oil pan, Air Cleaner, Coil, Plug Wires, Water Pump, etc., etc. The auction included pretty much everything "new in the box" to bolt together the entire engine.... including a new ARP bolt package. The seller had an opening bid of $2500 and received no bids. I emailed him on the last day of the auction and bought everyting for $1800. He even brought everything back down to the machine shop he'd used for the block work and had them professionally package the block and all of the loose boxes onto a pallet and then assisted the freight company get the pallet loaded onto a truck ($215 from KY to Eastern NC). The new cylinder heads alone cost ~$1500. He took a beating and we got a great deal. Have patience as there are some great deals out there... especially in this economy. Do not limit your search for an engine to only "Mustang" engines. The engine we bought was intended to be used in a Ford Bronco.

ahhh patience young grasshopper.

I'm definitely not in a rush. Mostly concerned with doing my homework right now, asking the pros, and knowing what to look/ask for. I'll keep looking. Thanks!

Back