• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

88 5.0

I have long headers on my existing engine; can i pull the engine with the headers in place, install them on my new engine and then place the whole works back in the car?

Doubtful....it would be a real pain I would think if it was possible. Why not remove them from the engine and leave them in the engine bay. Then set in the new engine and attach them then?

"AzPete" said:
Doubtful....it would be a real pain I would think if it was possible. Why not remove them from the engine and leave them in the engine bay. Then set in the new engine and attach them then?

I just remember what a pain they were to install and get tight the first go around.

I plan on doing this Transplant in about 2 weeks. As eluded to earlier I am a NEW-B and have never pulled an engine:

1) How much do I need to remove b4 the engine gets pulled? Radiator etc.?

2) About how long should it take a novice mechanic to do this? I've done a Cam/lifter swap with the engine in
the car and it took about 4 hrs of wrenching from tear down to completion........

:Mark

Remove/disconnect the exhaust, all wires, hoses, fuel line, transmission if doing separate, motor mounts (last). Pulling the radiator gives more working room as the engine needs to come up, forward and up. If you remove all the accessories from the front of the engine, the radiator could stay in. Depending on the method you have for connecting the hoist, you may want the carb off or maybe even the intake.

Goe slow and easy....do not force anything.I am sure there is more from others.

Okay. I'm back to my project and today I switched the oil pans to a front sump (brand new), when I removed the rear sump pan noticed a very small bit of metal dust.

Should I be concerned? I think it have been residue from the cylinder boring.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I found a complete EFI System including a stock throttle body intake etc. from an 86 T-bird. What does everybody think? were these computer controlled? Should I stick with the carb? I want to do this right so I can enjoy the car moving forward.

As a reminder:

The Car is 73 Mustang Convertible
The Block is an 88 5.0 bored .040 over with an E303 Roller Cam and Roller Lifters.
The Heads are Port and Polished off an 83 GT.

:Mark

That is up to you on how you want to move forward.

They were computer controlled , but I would look for later year efi that is mass air. I believe the tbirds were speed density for 86. I ended up converting my 88 setup to mass air. It's just more compatible with upgrades like heads and intake and such. Not that speed density is bad. If you just want to run a standard setup it works just fine. You will need a few other pieces to go efi also, depending on what comes with it. try to get any wiring and brackets that you can. Tracking done some of the little pieces has put me behind on my swap by several months. If you go with it as is I have a speed density computer I'm not using.

Pat

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

"RapidRabbit" said:
That is up to you on how you want to move forward.

They were computer controlled , but I would look for later year efi that is mass air. I believe the tbirds were speed density for 86. I ended up converting my 88 setup to mass air. It's just more compatible with upgrades like heads and intake and such. Not that speed density is bad. If you just want to run a standard setup it works just fine. You will need a few other pieces to go efi also, depending on what comes with it. try to get any wiring and brackets that you can. Tracking done some of the little pieces has put me behind on my swap by several months. If you go with it as is I have a speed density computer I'm not using.

Pat

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

The more I think about this I think I will stick to the carburetor for now and Keep my eyes open for a really nice EFI System. Thanks for any and all insight!

Back