• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

88 5.0

jmbour66

I have an opportunity to purchase a freshly restored 88 5.0 but I don't know if it will fit EASILY in my 73.,

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I'm putting an 88 5.0 in my 70 right now. It will fit. You just have to do some modifications depending on if your using the efi or AOD .

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Yes you can change it to carb.
The oil pan and pickup need to be swapped too.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I will go this route. The engine has been bored to a 306 and i like the the thought of a roller cam etc.

There are a few other little things to adapt too. Do a search for 5.0 swaps and you will get a good idea.
Some things to think about include what accessories are you going use. You can swap all your current front end stuff on or use the serpentine setup.
Timing cover needs to drilled for the dipstick.

The headers should bolt up no problem. To bolt up the c4, you'll probably need to get a different flexplate. The '88 is 50 oz balanced, where your original is 28 oz balanced.

Okay, good. all this is very helpful. I take from the threads that a new oil pan is needed and the 5.0 oil pan will not work on my 73?

The 5.0 pan will not work. You can swap your stock pan on.

Okay. I've decided to go with this 5.0 bored to 306, the engine will produce about 350 hp and now I'm concerned with the C4 stock trans........

"jmbour66" said:
Okay. I've decided to go with this 5.0 bored to 306, the engine will produce about 350 hp and now I'm concerned with the C4 stock trans........

C4's are pretty good trans. What kills the stock one's is high RPM's. If you occasionally romp on it it will be okay. If you become a weekend warrior there are some mods that will make it live. Ford is actually putting C4's in the 2012 Cobra Jet Factory drag cars so they can be dependable.

"tarafied1" said:
C4's are pretty good trans. What kills the stock one's is high RPM's. If you occasionally romp on it it will be okay. If you become a weekend warrior there are some mods that will make it live. Ford is actually putting C4's in the 2012 Cobra Jet Factory drag cars so they can be dependable.

That's great news! Thanks to all! :thu

The local trans shop I use (rebuilt 4 so far for me) says he can't keep C-4 parts in stock. The Fox body guys who race keep ripping up AODs and switching to C-4s. I wouldn't be surprised if the next aftermarket craze is new castings for C-4 parts.

"tarafied1" said:

I was actually surprised when I saw that they were using a C4 in the new cobra jet drag cars.

I broke (or burned up) my share of C4's before a really good shop taught me a tip. I kept burning up clutches. I thought I needed to pack more disc's in. They said actually the opposite. I needed to drill holes in the drum and have less but better quality clutch disc. They need oil flow and less heat. A good trans cooler is key also. I had a high stall speed and was slipping all the time making heat and then at high RPM's in first gear I was heating up the clutch disc's. I used to push 7,000 rpm's on my SBF with solid lifter cam and triple valve springs. Anyway, the last trans I had them build and it's still alive and well in my dad's 66 with no issues.
I went with a C6 in my 67 with the 429 but could have went with a C4.

Back