• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

advice needed

Teebone

I recently bought a house in North Carolina. I have been driving back and forth bringing down household items, using my wifes Nissan Pathfinder. I was thinking since I have 4 cars to move down there, why not use the hitch on the Pathfinder and hook up one of my mustangs with a tow bar and drag it down. It is about 500 miles. I will not be moving until April, so I figure get a car down a little at a time. All the mustangs are in excellent condition so towing should be easy. The Pathfinder has a towing capacity of 5,000 pounds. I can also get the cars shipped for about 400 bucks each. Since I am always driving back and forth I figure Hell why not bring a car along. What do you guys think? Using a tow bar eliminates all the tongue weight, of course I will disconnect the drive shaft. All of my classics are in great shape, so wheel bearings are not a problem, what do you guys think?

So you finally stopped talking about it and bought a place. Great.

As for towing...I personally feel better with a auto trailer if I was doing it myself. The distance isn't great so I would do the towing but I'd feel better about the cars 'on' a trailer.

Make plans to be at Knotts and MBB....I'll be there.

Can you use the Amtrack AutoTrain to transport them down closer? Just a thought...

I'd tow them, if you transport they would have to deliver to your address to be worthwhile, which means $$$, towing one down each time you go makes sense, unless it limits how much stuff youcan take down with you. Sounds like your making a number of trips, so it shouldnt be a problem. Shipping 4 cars at 400 bucks a pop is 1600 bucks, towing the extra 3000Lbs each trip may cost you an extra $25 in gas plus the cost of the tow bar.....

Just make sure you get a good tow bar and remove the drive shaft. Front end should be in fair shape also. You could find a cheap tow dolly and use that for the short trips.

If I had your money uncle vinny I would hire a c 130 military transport plane to take all four at once! lol---actually I would probably trailer them myself, I rented a u-haul aluminum trailer one time--decent price and pulled good with a 91 mustang vert on it.

I forgot to tell you about the drive shaft. Use a tow dolly and take the DS out. You could tie it up, but if the tie job fails, then you have a problem.

You can buy a decent dolly pretty cheap now a days....

Mel

Stuff a rag in the tail cone of the tranny to prevent fluid leakage.......that sounds bad.......

I'd be a little worried about rock chips off the Pathfinder on the nose(s) of the towed cars? Probably a better idea to rent one of the little U-haul aluminum car trailers. They handle really well and are nice and light...we've used one several times, and I wish I could find one for sale--I'd buy it. Otherwise, it seems like a good plan to me, to move them down one at a time. And load the towed vehicle up with household stuff as someone mentioned above is also a good idea.

Big problem with renting a u-haul car trailer anymore is the rules they have on the tow vehicle size. Call well ahead and see if you qualify.

With a tow dolly you shouldn't have any issues with rock chips. (Now that I said it...) Your car is at a angle most of the rocks will hit the underside. If that is an issue they make mud flaps that slide in the receiver hitch before the ball and have flaps that extend the width of your car.

Mel

"AzPete" said:
Big problem with renting a u-haul car trailer anymore is the rules they have on the tow vehicle size. Call well ahead and see if you qualify.

I already did check, they will not rent a car trailer to anything smaller then a full size pick-up, plus the weight of the trailer combined with the towed vehicle would be more then the Pathfinder can safely handle.

You might even be able to find a tow dolly used, and cheap. Check around those that have class A RV's parked in their yards. Also, used car lots some times get them in.

"lethal289" said:
You could also fill the cars up with some other stuff, maybe make less trips in the long run.

He plans on putting Toni in the 2nd car..... "Honey, you've been wanting to drive that Mustang - get in and follow the Pathfinder." :ecit

Hell Vince...drive them down there. Have Toni drive the Toy. Problem solved.

"KBMWRS" said:
Hell Vince...drive them down there. Have Toni drive the Toy. Problem solved.

Good idea, but not an option Toni hates driving anymore then 2 hours in a day, she is what we call *not a long distance driver*..I have thought about driving the Stang down and leaving it there, but then I would have to fly home and that shoots my cost saving idea..by the way did I mention the new house has a 4 car garage..HEHE

Back