• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Any of You Old Farts Familiar with the Front of the 289

:rp I bet that gets some attention. How the hell are you buttclowns doing? I am back and in fine order thank you. I have some young kid asking me questions and for once, I do not know everything. Any of you real familiar with the 289 and its covers and water pump bolts. I know nothing, I see nothing. Anyway he is a boyscout and his dad helped him...... and now you see the problem. Thanks

Ed

and for once, I do not know everything

Wow, quite the revelation.

Any of you real familiar with the 289 and its covers and water pump bolts.

Vague question, but here you go..... the bolts = righty-tighty, lefty-loosy. The timing cover? yes, it'll need one.

What else ya got?

I've got a complete '65 289 sitting on an engine cradle in the garage. What do you need to know?

"Fast68back" said:
Didnt someone post a diagram regarding water pump bolts, which bolt goes where based on length....etc.

Yes they did....somewhere.

I just took off the water pump, alternator and all the pulleys from my 289's front end.

What are the questions though?

At this point I'm with Dave, righty tighty, lefty loosy.

I can post photographs of the 289 before if you would like.
I had an 289 after removal photograph handy

IMG_7517.jpg

"Fordication" said:
Any of You Old Farts Familiar with the Front of the 289

Some of us may find your reference to "old farts" offensive.

How about using something like "experienced and valued farts" or "senior farts" or "...farts of any age.." or something a little less discriminating?

Thanks for caring...

"Horseplay" said:
I've got a complete '65 289 sitting on an engine cradle in the garage. What do you need to know?

Well the young man has his engine on a stand and a whole pile of bolts that he cleaned instead of labled and bagged like any sane person would do when disassembling an engine or car for that matter. I bet he learned his lesson. Its a long block and he wants to start putting on the studs and bolts for the timing cover, water pump, etc and he wants to put the right bolts and studs in the right holes. What I am going to do is have him sign up with the forum and give you better detail of what he needs. He hurts my head when I email him, asking so many questions. Lets face it, I think I know everything but on occasion I am sometimes wrong.

If you read the post Rick linked to above, it has a picture of the water pump and shows what size bolt goes where!!

Thanks. I have already sent the link to Kevin. I told him to join anyway since this forum actually has people that know how to Fix things versus the others that just like to screw with you. Of course, that does not mean you cant screw with him anyways.

"Mustang_Charly" said:
Some of us may find your reference to "old farts" offensive.

How about using something like "experienced and valued farts" or "senior farts" or "...farts of any age.." or something a little less discriminating?

Thanks for caring...

Not a chance, you might start getting a big head, to go with that big asse. That and it would be too embarrasing for me if you knew how much in awe I am of you guys and your cars. Shhhh, do not tell anyone I said that.

"Fordication" said:
Well the young man has his engine on a stand and a whole pile of bolts that he cleaned instead of labled and bagged like any sane person would do when disassembling an engine or car for that matter. I bet he learned his lesson. Its a long block and he wants to start putting on the studs and bolts for the timing cover, water pump, etc and he wants to put the right bolts and studs in the right holes. What I am going to do is have him sign up with the forum and give you better detail of what he needs. He hurts my head when I email him, asking so many questions. Lets face it, I think I know everything but on occasion I am sometimes wrong.

Alright Im kevin, lol im the young man that hurts his head when he emails me.

Alright, so I finally got the Water pump on the engine. I have the AC unit on, and the Power steering pump on. I have the Alternator Up where it should be but I cant tell how the bracket goes on. I finally have some pictures i can show y'all with. Im hoping to get the engine in tomorrow, or today, or maybe yesterday, whenever y'all look at this may vary. (April 17) Also hoping to start her tomorrow and planning on recording the first breath of life for all to see.

http://img94.imageshack.us/i/1001924h.jpg/
Front of engine with bracket, Idk how it goes. help?

http://img35.imageshack.us/i/1001925m.jpg/
Front of Engine So far without the bracket.

http://img8.imageshack.us/i/1001926s.jpg/
Side View.

http://img195.imageshack.us/i/1001928o.jpg/
Before mentioned Big Pile of bolts.

Back