• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Any of You Old Farts Familiar with the Front of the 289

The pile of bolts is easy, just look at the pic in the post Rick added above. I can't help anymore than that, my 289 does not have AC.

Maybe these pics will help. This was my 67 289 with AC on the way out.

one.jpg

two.jpg

This motor is still complete on an engine stand in storage, if needed i could go snap a few more pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I snapped off a couple bolts while installing the oil pan, we had to remove it to install a missed driver that has to go in with the oil pump. We reinstalled the oil pan, snapping two bolts in a row off. What luck, was hoping to get her started today, but that's alright, because you can't rush a good thing.

Also, got all pulleys and brackets on, and got the distributor stabbed after making sure the timing was tdc.

JH Christ. Snapping off bolts. Put down the coffee and stay away from the Cola. Damn farm boys are too strong for their own good. Not to mention hell on the fasteners.

"Fordication" said:
JH Christ. Snapping off bolts. Put down the coffee and stay away from the Cola. Damn farm boys are too strong for their own good. Not to mention hell on the fasteners.

lol, sorry.

Yeah... breaking oil pan bolts is something I don't think I've ever heard of...

Methinks you should be investing in a torque wrench... even a cheepo likely would save you some additional work if you're snapping small bolts like those :EB

"midpack" said:
Yeah... breaking oil pan bolts is something I don't think I've ever heard of...

Methinks you should be investing in a torque wrench... even a cheepo likely would save you some additional work if you're snapping small bolts like those :EB

Broke another one trying to take it out to go to a local parts store to try and get more bolts. =/

"70_Fastback" said:
Maybe "Kevin" is really Chuck Norris.

I don't know why somebody would think such a thing... But if I was I wouldn't tell you! BUT if i did tell you I would Round house kick you and make you look like this -----> :ep

"southern_boy" said:
Broke another one trying to take it out to go to a local parts store to try and get more bolts. =/

You do remember "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosy", right?

I am starting to think that his 289 was made in China. Hey Kev, has any of this advice and photos helped you to get your car together. As I said, these guys actually know something other than how to drink beer. errr...... will they know that too but they know mustangs as well. :nta

"Fordication" said:
I am starting to think that his 289 was made in China. Hey Kev, has any of this advice and photos helped you to get your car together. As I said, these guys actually know something other than how to drink beer. errr...... will they know that too but they know mustangs as well. :nta

The picture of the water pump helped ALOT. Thats what got my water pump on and led to me getting it to where it is now. And lord i hope it wasnt made in China. Or else I might as well move the steering wheel to the other side and throw the engine in sideways.

"midpack" said:
Soooo.... what's the plan for all the broken bolts? Probably don't really need 'em all anyway, right?

Broken Bolts? Nothing a bit of Duct tape and bailing wire can't fix. Actually I was thinking of going with an easy out or something ya know? or maybe super glue the old bolt head back on. that might work....

Which bolts are breaking?

Something isn't right if you're breaking bolts. I've put together more engines than I can remember and can't ever remember breaking a bolt. Removing exhaust manifold bolts doesn't count.... I 've snapped a few of those, but snapping bolts during install doesn't make any sense.....

"daveSanborn" said:
Which bolts are breaking?

Something isn't right if you're breaking bolts. I've put together more engines than I can remember and can't ever remember breaking a bolt. Removing exhaust manifold bolts doesn't count.... I 've snapped a few of those, but snapping bolts during install doesn't make any sense.....

Consider this: a bottomed hole and a longer bolt than required. Torque the bolt down to the bottom of the hole and continue torquing. QED.

"Midlife" said:
Consider this: a bottomed hole and a longer bolt than required. Torque the bolt down to the bottom of the hole and continue torquing. QED.

Sorry, I didn't consider something that stupid, but I forget that anything's possible....

Back