• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

any photos of old school mustangs?

Dne'

Whenever I get my Mustang ready for its suspension, I'd like more of the old school look~ Wider tires on the rear, and narrower in the front, Jacked up a bit in the rear(but not ridiculously), and the front end a tad lower, but not doing a nosedive either! I know most people get into the lowered/stock look for handling~ I just want my ride to look cool, American Graffiti style I guess. So, I'm just asking if anyone may have a photo or even an actual car setup like I'm speaking of? Then if so, I'd like to know where to purchase that suspension!
thank you,
dne'

Try eBay. I've gotten a lot of ideas of what to do and many (more LOL) of what not to do with my FB.
Stan

This was my '66 before I sold it. I had 245/60's on the rear and 205/60's in the front. Used a set of rear springs from JC Whitney that gave a 4" lift over stock. The springs were a major supplier also, just do not remember who.

100_9502.jpg

Pete, that's really close, maybe a spacer in the front end to bring it up another inch! On EBay, Laurelmountainmustang advertises a rear leaf spring setup 1.5" lift above stock, but the one you show is 4"?! So, 1.5" should be Ok, you think? But I like the way the rear is on that Mustang! :icon_thumleft:
thanks!

"AzPete" said:
This was my '66 before I sold it. I had 245/60's on the rear and 205/60's in the front. Used a set of rear springs from JC Whitney that gave a 4" lift over stock. The springs were a major supplier also, just do not remember who.

100_9502.jpg

Ok, you take that yellow Mustang, raise it about 1.5-2.0" and that's about how I'd like my Mustang to sit! :notworthy: Gosh those are some pretty Mustangs! :notworthy: Thanks 67ee!

AzPete pointed this one out. This is what I want to achieve, but the front end would need to come up more, this one's just a little too low. :dance

bettrermustang.jpg

...with the tires sticking out beyond the wheelwells? Are you sure about this? We did this "back in the old days" because we were too cheap/dumb to buy wheels with the correct offset. With the tires sticking out beyond the quarter panel, you're going to have to have either some pretty stiff springs.... or (gulp) air shocks.... to prevent the rubber from contacting the metal during suspension compression. Can you say "bone jarring"?

Also, with the rear of the car raised abnormally higher than the front, it will transfer more weight towards the front of the car. Most people try transferring weight to the rear of the car for better handling, not vice-versa.

I understand the look you're going after, but it wasn't such a great idea at the time and we all know better now.

nice cut dave how'd you do that, stop hating on the air shocks the PO put them on my ride god damn stupid previous owner and his stupid mods you should of seen the center console he made for the car and because the old reverse switch went out replaced it with a flip switch so i had to flip the switch to put my reverse lights on pretty fun to turn them on when someone tailgates you or when your stoped and start peeling out.

Back on topic that blue one looks a little high in back maybe a little lower and not lowered in front and it would give that old school agressive stance

The springs were no stiffer than stock new ones on my '66. The lift was achieved by being arched for the fit. I looked at numerous spring shops before going this route. Most local shops could not produce the lift I wanted. I used a shock that was 3" longer than stock and the ride was good.

I had stock front springs. Never did figure out why it was so low. I was about to raise it that inch but a guy wanted it and I liked the sound of his offer. lol

"pnandy" said:
nice cut dave how'd you do that, stop hating on the air shocks the PO put them on my ride god damn stupid previous owner and his stupid mods you should of seen the center console he made for the car and because the old reverse switch went out replaced it with a flip switch so i had to flip the switch to put my reverse lights on pretty fun to turn them on when someone tailgates you or when your stoped and start peeling out.
Your elementary English teacher would slap you if she read that. :tard:

Ok, maybe not quite that high and the wheels not sticking out quite for far!? It was just a thought and I probably won't get anywhere near this. I"m not anywhere near this, just dreaming right now! :dance

"daveSanborn" said:
...with the tires sticking out beyond the wheelwells? Are you sure about this? We did this "back in the old days" because we were too cheap/dumb to buy wheels with the correct offset. With the tires sticking out beyond the quarter panel, you're going to have to have either some pretty stiff springs.... or (gulp) air shocks.... to prevent the rubber from contacting the metal during suspension compression. Can you say "bone jarring"?

Also, with the rear of the car raised abnormally higher than the front, it will transfer more weight towards the front of the car. Most people try transferring weight to the rear of the car for better handling, not vice-versa.

I understand the look you're going after, but it wasn't such a great idea at the time and we all know better now.

"monkeystash" said:
"pnandy" said:
Your elementary English teacher would slap you if she read that. :tard:
I only right correctly when it matters ie. Work and School Especailly not this site writing classes are easy A's all of my elementary teachers were in their 60's when i was their so i doubt they could now!!

quote author=pnandy

I only right correctly.......

Superb use of a double entendre. You are hereby granted two "sluggo points" to use in the "sluggo mall" upon it's debut. ~thu
Personally I'd have gone with the old standby: I only write correctly...

This shows a different angle of the rear setting. The side wall of the tire was even with the edge of the body.

102RearDone.jpg

You can always get out the ole "Slugger" and roll the lips. Course it may need a paint job afterwards. It does work VERY well thoough.

I just don't see what's wrong with that setup! Granted the front end does need to be elevated, but that's not a big deal! Again, I appreciate you posting the photo! I guess it'll just be experimentation when it comes to suspension!

Anyone had experience with this setup?
coilover.jpg

"AzPete" said:
This shows a different angle of the rear setting. The side wall of the tire was even with the edge of the body.

102RearDone.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back