• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

any photos of old school mustangs?

"Sportbikechick" said:
I just don't see what's wrong with that setup! Granted the front end does need to be elevated, but that's not a big deal! Again, I appreciate you posting the photo! I guess it'll just be experimentation when it comes to suspension!

If you raise that fron much higher you may as well put Dubs (24"s) on it, I'd drop the rear a bit if anything.

I believe the TCP front end set up uses varishocks exclusively. From what I've seen/heard they give you a lot of adjustability.

The backside view of AzPete's Coupe looks much nicer than the previous view.

It's all a matter of personal preference when it comes to a cars stance. Back in the '70's it was considered "cool", nowadays it's considered "odd".

The car will handle better with a lowered stance all of the way around.

The pictured VariShocks are a TCP product. Although they mount differently, they're very similar in appearance to the coilovers used on TCPs coilover front suspension system. The coilovers on "the complete system" have an adjustment range of +/- 7/16ths inch from a set adjustment point.... giving the coilovers the ability to adjust ride height a total of 7/8 inch. Keep in mind that this adjustment point is from a set height. In other words, you'll install the coilovers and adjust them to read 14" from the top of the spring mount to the bottom of the spring mount. This is your "nominal" ride height. From here you can move 7/16ths inch either up or down. Any more or less than this and you'll interfere with the operation of the coilover as it compresses/extends during driving.

Glad it was odd..........you would be suprised of all the positive comments I got from the shows we were in. MAny, many people commented it was nice to see more of the old school look. Then there were the others who had to explain what was lost in the back seats....lol

FYI, the front fender top to ground on the "66 was 26.5". I believe 27 was stock. I had the 205/60/15 tires. I had thought of using a 1/2" spacer to drop the rear just a bit. Carrying 4 adults in the car never produced any tire rubbing problems either. Another plan that did not materialize was to raise the shock pads in the rear to prevent a possible tire rub.

I agree with dave, the rear shot makes it look more "streetable", meaning the previous shot made it look as if the wheels stuck way out and you would be in deep doo doo if the airshocks failed, (ask me how I know this).

if the airshocks failed

Nope, Pete had the leaf springs re-arched to increase the ride height, which if nothing else is the right way to do it.

Old School = extended shackles and air shocks.

Heck, I had the air shocks and the extended shackles. Crank that air pressure up and cruise in style! Back in the day, that was definitely the "look" to have. Nowadays most have moved away from that look, but it is nice to see it's still around.

Gee Dave, you sure know alot about stuff! :notworthy: I'm pleased to hear that not everyone disapproves of this "odd" style of riding height. I guess I'll be Odd! One thing about suspesion, or anything for that matter~ It can be changed with a lot of work and a lot of money! :pep
dne'

A few more hours and Ike(hurricane) should be here! :show :hide

We were going to add walking library to his title, but he already has enough. His head got so big it started splittin at his nose, look at his sig pic.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/EXTRA-HIGH-LIFT-REAR-LEAF-SPRINGS/GP_2005960_N_111+1966+200728668+600003427_10101.jcw
The day after paint, sitting on level ground, but without all body partsinstalled.
94Sideviewofstance-1.jpg

Thats weird, both side pics of the car make those wheels look as if they stick way outside the wheel well.

Looks cool though! I like it...:love3:

What does that is the way the sun shines on the tread. You normally do not see the top of the tread so it creates an optical illusion.

All this talk about the old car makes me miss her a bit but then again, the sale price was good for a coupe.

Gee Dave, you sure know alot about stuff!

No, I just don't know how to shut up.

When I said "odd", I did not mean that in a derogatory way.... odd = unlike the rest. That side shot of Pete's old car straight from the paint booth looks badass. It's just not something you see much of anymore, therefore "odd".

And if I every get another oldie, it will be the same way. Odd. lol Gotta be different. Funny thing is the "kid" that bought it loved the look. He was 25. Go figure.

I kinda like that look too with a little rake. Here is a shot of my coupe before I painted it. It looked this way most of it's life other than it was red oxide primer instead of grey.
july06055ql1.jpg

and I still have a little rake to it. Rear leaf springs are 5 leaf standard eye and gas shocks, it rides okay. Front is mostly the weight of a 429 and the 1" Shelby drop.
picture010lr3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Zombie post, I know, but I'm new to the forum and was cruising some old posts. Here are some photos of my car, which is an updated 'old school' look, perhaps. 3" front end drop with a stock rear. 225's on the back and 205's on the front give it a 'rake' without air shocks or shackles.
Picture095a.jpg

Picture085a.jpg

"DEL65" said:
Zombie post, I know, but I'm new to the forum and was cruising some old posts. Here are some photos of my car, which is an updated 'old school' look, perhaps. 3" front end drop with a stock rear. 225's on the back and 205's on the front give it a 'rake' without air shocks or shackles.
Picture095a.jpg

Picture085a.jpg

I like it! Nice ride.

Back