• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

AOD questions

B67FSTB

The NorCal dude from Belgium
Hi

I can get an AOD trans very cheap overhere.
Its for my convertible project who has now a C4 trans and a 289 4V engine
What to look for gear wise ?
An AOD , is that a 4 sp or 5 sp trans. 5th overdrive I guess ??
Torque converter ?? suggestions
Beside the shift lever , you have a TV cable ? nothing more ??

Need advice on those things , because I have no clue .
Thx

It's a 4 sp. Bruno, yes you'll have to bend a rod for the shift rod and TV cable to control shift as there is no vacuum like the C4. TV cable adjustment is important as too little will burn up the trans in <1mile.

I'll have to look up the flywheel and torque converter I used but they are different than C4 as is the spacer plate between trans/ engine. The flywheel weight should match your harmonic balancer weight - 28oz. (original/early sbf or 50oz. later model/5.0).

Here are the gear ratios vs. C4, for the USA versions at least:
Transmission Ratios First Second Third Overdrive
AOD 2.40:1 1.47:1 1.00:1 0.67:1
C-4 2.46:1 1.46:1 1.00:1 --
Pretty close to the same.
Jon

The AOD I have my eyes on , are of a 90 thunderbird.
Still don't know what engine seize it has.

I suspect that the internals of an AOD are different due to the engine seize.
With internals I mean gear ratio's.
Right ?

Thx for the info guys

To my knowledge the internals (gears) are the same except if it came out of a truck I believe. One difference in the cars that's easy enough to change is that the lever for the shift rod either points up or down depending if it had a floor or column shift. You can drop the pan and flip the up/down orientation of the lever easy enough. The easiest hookup is with the lever pointing up and the Lokar TV cable lever pointing down. Here's a good pic of how you can run everything before install. I unfortunately did not look at this pic prior to install and can't screw the cable retainer to the trans as shown. The hole he used is a threadless dead end hole so you have to thread it for whatever bolt you will use. There is no room to do this once it's in....

PICT0012.jpg

Here's how it should look at the carb. if you are going carbed.

PICT0011.jpg

Jon

IIRC a V-8 trans has more friction plates in the clutch pack than a V-6 car, but can be upgraded when rebuilt. Anything 88-93 is better as previous to this they had a tail shaft oiling issue. You said out of a T-bird, I think the super coupes used the V-8 spec tranny in them.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Here the guy doing my transmission.
In memphis, Tn

Sent via paper airplane.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393288206.080762.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393288206.080762.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 129
Seller claims its from a 90 T-bird with a 302

Where on the housing do you find some kind of ID ??

Bruno,
While I'm going thru my AOD folder, you should study the following link from Baumann Electronics which Larry G had suggested. Some very good stuff.

http://www.becontrols.com/techguide_4.htm

Here's some of my initial thoughts from my AOD install era.

If you are planning to use the car's stock floor shifter, you will need to make or modify your shifter to trans connecting rod. The location of the AOD's shifter arm is in a different spot as compared to a C4 arm. Also the indents of the floor shifter is slightly different than that of the AOD. Thus where the shifter rod connects to the floor shifter arm is slightly higher than stock. About 3/4" higher. You can either drill a hole or create a bracket like I did which is adjustable. If you drill a hole, you better hope it is in the correct spot otherwise the shifting indents of the floor shifter and AOD will not be in synch.

Here's a pic of the adjustable shifter rod that I made with heim joints.
AODShifterRodA.jpg

Here's a pic of the adjustable floor shifter bracket that the shifter rod connects to.
AODShifterbracketB.jpg

LokarTVcable connection to the AOD. This pic show a stock floor shifter rod in place during this mockup period but it was not used.
LokarTrickflow.JPG

Thx Craig

I did some research but It comfuses me a bit. ( lack of time and the seller want to get rid of it )
I did some research on BECONTROL.
My first concern is if that trans is out of a T-bird as they told me.

ps , nice work on that shift linkage Craig !! Have to remember that ( note to myself )

continue..

No tag on the trans .
But reading the hemming page , I can conclude its a trans of 89 passenger car.

Tail casting# = E0AP is for a passenger car
housing casting # = RF-E9DP-7006-AA is a AOD of 89 so that good too .

guy asking € 100 but it has to be overhauled.

Thx for the link Craig.

Bruno,
When the time comes for you to decide on a shifter rod and want one like mine, just say please and I'll make you one as long as you pay for the materials and postage. Same with the bracket it connects to, if you want to go that direction. I kept my drawing with dimensions.

As I did, you might consider installing a transmission cooler while you have things all apart.

Thx man. :thum :thum

Have already a cooler ( mercedes ) on the shelf.
Gonna make that crossmember by myself.
Flexplate , spacerplate and torque converter have to acquired over time.
Overhauling the trans should be possible by myself.
Think I gonna get it saterday morning. ( 200 mile drive )
Will post some pics then when i get it.

&quot;B67FSTB&quot; said:

Have you seen the Badshoe Production video? Ford tech does a step by step take down and reassembly with some upgrades. He really does a great job and I rebuilt my AOD with it.

OK....I am back from a 220 mls drive to get that AOD.
Did some clean up to shoot some pics.
Seems it has a tag on it , so here are the numbers :

PKA CZ5
034182 E4
E7SPCA

&quot;gwstang&quot; said:
&quot;B67FSTB&quot; said:

Have you seen the Badshoe Production video? Ford tech does a step by step take down and reassembly with some upgrades. He really does a great job and I rebuilt my AOD with it.

Is that on YouTube ??

Back