• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

AOD questions

"B67FSTB" said:
"gwstang" said:
"B67FSTB" said:
Thx man. :thum :thum
Overhauling the trans should be possible by myself.

Have you seen the Badshoe Production video? Ford tech does a step by step take down and reassembly with some upgrades. He really does a great job and I rebuilt my AOD with it.

Is that on YouTube ??

I don't think you can put you can purchase it here.

http://www.badshoeproductions.com/aod.html

Thx

I just ordered 2 download titles ( AOD and T5 )
You can't know enough to tackle that job.

Today I cleaned the trans a bit up and start dissambly.
First I dissambled the pan , which was dented alot and severe.
The trans looked very clean inside although there wasn't much oil in it.
3 bolts losen the filter which was slightly dented.
8 short and 17 long bolts and the valve body came off.
I could now see it has a "B" servo in it. ( from V8 car )
Dissambled the servo's
Dissamble the tail housing
cleaned some parts.
For now its good.
I gonna get some information on which parts I need and what kind of improvement are in need to make a stronger and better trans without breaking the bank. :nwort :nwort

I didn't do it myself and haven't driven my car yet but you might want to look at what this guy has for custom valve bodies and upgrade parts : http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxtrans.com/VB_AOD.html

I got the Stage 1 with OD lockout switch so I can disable OD if I go to the track it'll only shift 1,2,3 and not go past 3rd. It also has an adjustment in a 800 RPM range for where it shifts in auto, he sets it at the middle and you have to drop the pan to adjust but should be a 1 or 2 time thing to get it where you want it. I installed a drain hole on my stock pan to make fluid emptying less messy. Like this, they may have them at your local parts store, I got it with other items from Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-65128/overview/

The Kevlar bands seem to be THE upgrade, I went with the BLUE, can't remember who makes them, Raybestos or ? I'll have to look at my emails.
Jon

Here some pics as promised.
First pic is the ID Tag on the trans.
Meanwhile I have cleaned the case and some parts.
The clutches in the direct drum and in the forward drum were fried. :nwort :nwort

Attachments

• ID TAG AOD.jpg
    ID TAG AOD.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 30
  • CASE HOME.jpg
    CASE HOME.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • AOD Case clean.jpg
    AOD Case clean.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 24
  • PARTS TABLE.jpg
    PARTS TABLE.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 27
After some reading on the internet ( baumann and clickclickracing ,ect ect ) ,
I decided to upgrade my trans with 4R70W stuff.
All drums are changed to stamped steel ones with more clutches.
Planetairy is changed over to a 4R70W one which is a wide ratio one.
Reverse drum is one with mechanical diode and can use the 2 inch overdrive band in combination with an A-servo piston.
This all should make it a very solid transmission.
I gonna keep the dual input shaft and the use of a lockup converter.
Car is gonna see more highway then tracks or strips.(due to the lack of it here in Belgium )

I am still looking for some parts of a 4R70W trans like a 38tooth sun gear shell and some bearings , and some other stuff.

Thats the update so far.

OK , Did make another topic about the need for helping me out getting some specific parts.
I will make some pics of the upgrade parts i have this weekend.

To my knowledge the internals (gears) are the same except if it came out of a truck I believe. One difference in the cars that's easy enough to change is that the lever for the shift rod either points up or down depending if it had a floor or column shift. You can drop the pan and flip the up/down orientation of the lever easy enough. The easiest hookup is with the lever pointing up and the Lokar TV cable lever pointing down. Here's a good pic of how you can run everything before install. I unfortunately did not look at this pic prior to install and can't screw the cable retainer to the trans as shown. The hole he used is a threadless dead end hole so you have to thread it for whatever bolt you will use. There is no room to do this once it's in....

PICT0012.jpg

Here's how it should look at the carb. if you are going carbed.

PICT0011.jpg

Jon

Hmmm, I wonder where you got those pictures of my set up? and yes the hole needs to be tapped before installation

Hi, I saved them from one of your posts I'm sure, sorry I didn't remember your screen name to give credit. Thanks for taking such clear photos and now I can give credit. You do a very clean install.

Thanks, prolly have those pics on other forums as well.
By far the AOD and newer trannies are arguably one of the best mods to our old rides.

Thanks, prolly have those pics on other forums as well.
By far the AOD and newer trannies are arguably one of the best mods to our old rides.

I have to agree on this trans swap (as far as automatics go) that it's the best mod you can make. I went with a stock 4r70w out of a 04, v6 Mustang 5500 miles. Before the swap with the FMX, I couldn't turn the rear tires from a dead stop, now (no brakes) those tires will burn through the first 2 gears, kind of scary. It also dropped the RPM's down by 1100 at 70 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have to agree on this trans swap (as far as automatics go) that it's the best mod you can make. I went with a stock 4r70w out of a 04, v6 Mustang 5500 miles. Before the swap with the FMX, I couldn't turn the rear tires from a dead stop, now (no brakes) those tires will burn through the first 2 gears, kind of scary. It also dropped the RPM's down by 1100 at 70 mph.

The 331 in my 68 turns 1950 RPM at 70 MPH and gets 22-24 MPG. Love it!

Back