• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

AZPete's Rear Modifications

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
No, Pete did not go to the proctologist, but close! He put in late model front and rear seats, and with the rear seat back installed, there was a large gap between the seat and the quarter panels in his 1966. He found some extra interior quarter panels, and we cut the left side to match to the right side (and vice versa), did a bit of fitting/cutting, and edged the flange with windlace after sandblasting and painting. All in all, this was an easy modification, and looks a whole lot better than before, especially after a couple of Wattles.

Before:
before.jpg

After
after.jpg

Yes yes...the pictures are of different sides, but we were lazy and decided to take pictures between installing sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Fast68back" said:
Nice, how about some pictures of the finished project when you two sober up...

Ummm...it is finished. What you're seeing on the bottom is simply the bottom seat removed while fitting in the side panels.

Re: AZPete's Rear Modifications(more pics)

Dang......can even enjoy the buzz for a minute.....here are the pics as requested.....
The seats are out of an '04 V6 Mustang Coupe with the leather upgrade. The rear seats also are split to fold ant they do. I did no mods to the seat pans or seats for mounting. I still have to finish up the rear seating portion with some filler and bracing under the front edge. am real pleased with the work today.
Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Thank you. Couldn't have done it without Mid's A/C and a good adult beverage waiting............

"Fast68back" said:
You just wanted to say you had a mustang with a folddown, huh?

Picture001.jpg

No, A Mustang COUPE with a fold down................... :pep

Looks great Pete! I've always wondered how fitment of the late model back seat would turn out. One less thing to wonder about!

Re: AZPete's Rear Modifications (Question for Pete)

Picture001.jpg

Hi Pete
Like others have said, I really like this set up. However, is it just the way the picture was taken or are the horizontal lines in the seat crooked?
Stan

We're all a little crooked in our own little ways Stan, but I must say, nice work Pete.

I would venture to say it is the picture. The seats are 100% as they came from the '04. The back of the rear seat has its own frame work that mounts right into the old car.

The '04 Coupe seats come on a steal frame, folding and all. With a bit of persuasion, that frame just fit tight sliding down on the two hooks that held the original back in place. I cut the '04 frame on the top edge, going just below the factory bolt holes. Some remove the clips and use the frame holes as a mount. I did not. Then, there are twp tabs on the outer edge of the frame that mount like the bottom of the original back did, just wider out on the car.

I still need to finish the base of the seat. Know how, just been lazy..... It wedges fair but not real secure. I will use some 20 ga. or so and bend a 90 degree lip of about 1" for the bottom. I will use two sections, so I do not have to cut and design over the hump. These pieces will come up to about 1" from the seat base foam. This will get spot welded to the floor pan. Then, across the top of the two panels, I will lay an angle (open to the front) piece of something light weight. This way, I can adjust it to fit snug against the seat base. Probably use some screws to attach this. I will also use some heavy duty velcro tape to "hold" the seat in place so it does not ride up from vibrations. There are two pins in the seat base that I plan on having slip thru the angle and I can pin them in place. Cover with carpet and it is done.

When you get that done I would like to see pictures please.
I'll see how mine stays and see if I need to make a holding bracket.

It stays in place pretty good. Mi concern is with a passenger in the back, the seat may tend to creep forward.

Back