• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

bad day...

thanks folks. i think maybe a few things that were down low may be salvageable, but for the most part its all gone. the mustang & tr were saved but all the parts i have been saving up for 2 yrs are gone. i'll know more tomorrow when i can get in there & dig around. i'm still pretty dazed right now. not only did i lose my hobby, i lost my job... i'll survive.

Damn, that is some horrible news, and the pics show it's all too real. I'm sick to my stomach. I feel for you, man.

Let's hope the insurance does their job. Hang in there.

oh steve I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and hope the car gods are going to be shinning on you with what can be salvaged

I'm sorry for your loss. Damn, what a mess. Was the building insured as part of your business? I sure hope so. The structure itself should be affordable to replace, it's the contents that were likely the greater value. Like others have stated, fortunately no-one was hurt.

Typical homeowners insurance policies cover detached buildings at a maximum of 10% of the main dwelling. So if your home is insured at $200k, any and all out buildings would be insured at a maximum of $20k. Living on a wooded lot in the hurricane belt of Eastern Carolina my fears lean more toward a 100' tree falling on one of the buildings, but a fire would be more devastating. I have an insurance rider on both our guest house and detached garage to adequately insure them in the event of catastrophic loss.

I think this weekend I'll finally get off my butt and throw out the 30 odd cans of leftover automotive paint supplies from the cabinets under my workbenches. Everytime I open the cabinet doors and see all of the half empty cans of thinners, reducers, etc. I think to myself that they are a ticking time bomb. I keep all of my spray cans (WD-40, brake cleaner, etc.) in a flammable storage cabinet, but the leftover gallon cans of automotive painting materials won't fit in the locker. I assume that there were chemicals involved in your fire that acted as an accelerant?

Steve, like everyone has said, I'm sorry to hear the bad news but thankfully you were not injured. Wishing you the best outcome from this awful situation.

I too am very sorry to hear about this. If you are able to, start inventory on everything and I mean everything that was damaged. It's a painful process but it has to be done. If you start early you'll be ahead of the game when the insurance company asks you for it. Hopefully you'll get back to normal soon. Good luck.

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune, but am glad to hear that no one was hurt. Hope you get things sorted out with the insurance company so that you can get your lively hood back. Let us know if we can assist you in some way.

Wow Steve, that is really bad news. Any idea what started it?

Back