• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Carb. issue....need help.

You may need to go back and check timing and all.....a basic tune up check....to see if anything was out of adjustment to make the previous pos work.

"AzPete" said:
You may need to go back and check timing and all.....a basic tune up check....to see if anything was out of adjustment to make the previous pos work.
That is kinda what's confusing me. When I bolted on this one it fired right up and ran but now it won't. I did run the pcv hose to a inlet on the intake that was capped off. (the other used to go into the base of the old carb but this one has no input). I'm wondering if that screwed things up. That is the only thing different that I can think of.

That could......it is said that the cylinders that it flows to may be running leaner than the rest since it is an air source after the carb. Might have to seek a spacer with a PCV port.

"AzPete" said:
That could......it is said that the cylinders that it flows to may be running leaner than the rest since it is an air source after the carb. Might have to seek a spacer with a PCV port.
I did before doing what I did. 4V seems to be the common one. But I might want to keep looking. Maybe cap off the inlet and see if it makes a difference I'm thinking.

That would be worth a try. Also, the PCV could be run to a port in the air cleaner. A lot of them do that.

O.K. .... this is where the pcv hose from the valve cover is connected (along with a tranny connection I think) Is there any reason that this is a bad connection point ?? Does the tranny interfere with it ?? I almost bought a carb. spacer with a input today but still tinkering. When I got home I disconected the set up you see and capped off the intake input and tried to start. I pumped the gas a few times and turned the key and no start.. just turned over.
Then closed the choke plate on the carb. from about a 1/4" open to almost closed and it started. My problem all along ?? Really don't need to spend $40.00 on a spacer if this set-up is alright. What say you ??
PCV.jpg

I still do ot like that PCV setup. It does provide an air supply to those runners with no compensation for more fuel Run it to the air cleaner base inside the filter area.

As for the choke, yes, it could be an issue. Get everything set proper on the carb....by the book...and see what happens.

I went to get a assembly for the air cleaner/ pcv and the "old guy" at the parts house said that air cleaner inlet is not for the pcv but for the clean air from the other valve cover ?? He said pcv left side to the intake and clean air draw right side to the air cleaner base to complete the cycle ??

Yes....you can also use a filtered cap on the drivers side for intake of air. I have seen them both ways. The best for the PCV is the base of the carb......

I have seen one car have transmission issues with the PCV hooked to the same location as the tranny vac. line. Moved it to the carb base and it shifted again.

Unless it was 90*+ there today, your choke should not be 1/4 open before starting. Adjust to the rich side, then make sure the pull off opens it up the correct amount when starting.

"70 StangMan" said:
I did before doing what I did. 4V seems to be the common one. But I might want to keep looking. Maybe cap off the inlet and see if it makes a difference I'm thinking.

I have an OEM 1" Spacer with a PCV port, it also has an EGR Valve. It's in great condition, I would sell it for $20.00 plus shipping.

The accelerator pump should be shooting a strong stream into both throats, if you just get a spritz, it's not working. The car will not start if you pump the gas while cranking. You need to pump the gas before you start cranking. Pump it 5 times slowly and hit the key. If there is gas in the bowl and the accel pump is working properly it will fire.

The PCV line needs to go to the manifold side of the carb, either the manifold or carb plate. The only PCV line that goes to the air cleaner is the fresh air line where filtered air gets pulled into the engine through the left-side oil cap.

"jmbour66" said:
I have an OEM 1" Spacer with a PCV port, it also has an EGR Valve. It's in great condition, I would sell it for $20.00 plus shipping.
I've never seen one with a EGR valve...do you have a picture ??

You should be able to plug it pretty easy.....or maybe not after checking on line pics.......hmmmm.

"70 StangMan" said:
I've never seen one with a EGR valve...do you have a picture ??

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town........

Attachments

• Spacer1.jpg
    778.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Spacer2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
Back