• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Console Attempt #1

66gt350

Since moving my e-brake to the center console, I found an old POS center console that was in pretty bad shape that I didn't mind cutting up. Using some think 20 gauge steel, here's my first attempt at making the center console:

console1.jpg

It reminided me that I can't weld worth a shart...and welding thin steel I'm even worse at!! I thought of using some bondo to smooth out the grinding marks and waviness, and that reminded me that I'm even worse at bondo and bodywork than I am a welder...so screw it, good enough for the girls I go with!!

I'm gonna paint the console black and the new center black. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a boot for the e-brake, and how to best connect the the center to the console. And I still need to trim the front up a bit for the front cap.

edit* sorry about using a bad word, the fingers were going a million miles per hour and the brain never kicked in... I hope that I won't get flogged to badly! :beat

Last edited by a moderator:
"66gt350" said:
... good enough for the girls I go with!!
I haven't heard that line since I was in high school! Anyway, it doesn't look bad, any more pics?

"66gt350" said:
It reminided me that I can't weld worth a shat...

[admin]Sorry I had to edit your post, but we try to keep that word on the password protected boards only. I'm sure you either didn't know or it was just an oversight. Either way, no big deal, we just don't like editing member's posts without explaining ourselves.[/admin]

"AtlantaSteve" said:
[admin]Sorry I had to edit your post, but we try to keep that word on the password protected boards only. I'm sure you either didn't know or it was just an oversight. Either way, no big deal, we just don't like editing member's posts without explaining ourselves.[/admin]

I saw that last night and was going to edit it as well, but I figured he posted a picture, so that made up for it....

I would have edited & used the word "shart".

A. Because it's funnier

and...

B. Because it's a 2 parter. Much more efficient. 2 birds, one stone kinda thing...

But to get back on track, I think it looks good. And if you are worried about the waves and welds,think about using something like the black spray on bed liner in lieu of just black paint. The liner would give a good texture and hide any imperfections that you are worried about. I used it on my rear package tray in my fastback and love it.

And as far as the boot... I say to a junkyard crawl and try to find one that you can "make" work. Or think about having a leather one sewn up. We have a great seamstress here. Goes by the name of Jake... :craz

You could also get a boot similar to your shifter boot. I got mine from Summit, its a Lokar piece.

2_10_02_09_5_37_04_1.JPG

"Fast68back" said:
You could also get a boot similar to your shifter boot. I got mine from Summit, its a Lokar piece.

2_10_02_09_5_37_04_1.JPG
The more I see of your car, the more I like it. That looks really good! (and you need to edit your CRS to say "cant remember shart" :craz)
The bed liner stuff is a great idea too.
I used to have a Dodge Stealth, the E-brake boot was falling apart and my wife made one fairly easy.

"AtlantaSteve" said:
HA-HA...CRS: can't even remember the rules around here!! :rulez

Steve

Ouch...
[mod]Hmmm, if I could only remember who gave me that title...[/mod]

I think you did a great job, although I would make sure you won't skin your knuckles when doing hand brake 180's at speed!

Don't pay attention to the Mo's, they're just delinquents looking for mischief :scar

"66gt350" said:
I found an old POS center console that was in pretty bad shape that I didn't mind cutting up.
Is that a 66 Mustang console that you started with?

I started with a non-ac console from a 66. that was originally red. But when I got it it was 1/2 painted black/primer. the paint was 1/2 chipped off and tons of cracks. I cut the front, cause I have my radio mounted under the dash, so it's more like an ac console....still need to finish this part.

I painted it black last night, and it turned ok. I bought a bunch of stainless button head bolts, #8, to bolt the steel to the console. I'll have more pictures tonight when I get home.

-rob

Instead of painting the AL center section to hide minor flaws, could you wrap it in a leather/pleather/vinyl material? Just like the material Jake is using on his center console build?

Personally, I think a material covered center section would hold up better than a painted one.

The pics look better than real life. The back end of the steel is a little off, my sharty welding, a few hammer marks, eyeballing the bolts...etc...but hey this ain't no show car--it's meant to be driven. The only thing that it doesn't have is cup holders, and unfortuntely there not much room between the e-brake and the shifter. But I did find out this morn on the way to work, the area under handle is just perfect for keeping the ipod from flying all around!! Now the pics:

console2.jpg

console3.jpg

console4.jpg

console5.jpg

console6.jpg

console7.jpg

console8.jpg

looks good, im just curious as to why you would relocate the e brake?

and whats the switches for?
console2.jpg

Unless you have really long arms and really short legs, if I were you I'd change out the shifter stick for one that's a little bit longer. I drove the first hundred miles or so with a shorter 5.0 shifter and figured it wasn't so bad.... it was a reach, but felt I could get used to it. I soon realized that shifting into 3rd and 5th was requiring a concentrated effort to ensure positive engagement. If I stopped concentrating on it while driving, I would miss shifts and grind the gears. I bought a taller Hurst stick with a larger layback and the shifter handle is in a much more comfortable/natural position.

Nice gas pedal BTW, I have the exact same one in my car.

Back