• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

COTM Themes for Nominations

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
OK...time to discuss the use of themes vice open nominations.

In the past, when nominations were completely open, nominations closed before many of us had a chance to even enter someone's car due to the quickness of responses, which usually happened within 2 hours. Many of us thought that was unfair to the membership, as not everyone is online all the time.

So the use of themes, or tricks, gimmicks, requirements, whatever you want to call it, is designed to slow the nomination process down. It is also designed to add a little fun and chance to the COTM. Once nominations are closed, the voting is strictly "who is the best out there".

So what if we have a month or two during the year for self-nominations? It's not like I'm rigging the nomination process for my own car every month. The car competes on its own merits against the four others. Does it really matter how the cars get nominated each month?

I like the themes, even though there were about four months in a row when none of my cars qualified.

I'm fine with themed. I understand that it was like a race to get the first five cars in. I think if the theme gets to specific its just hard to nominate a great car that may be out there. I personally don't feel right nominating my own car and I think a lot of people might feel the same. Not that I want my car nominated. There are lots of newer members who everyone might not know the details on their cars. If we keep it open enough most months but gave a few months for self nominations that works too.

As far as themes go, there are a lot of great things we can have fun with. I'm all for it. Heck I even supported toy of the month. But let's not go there.

Ohhh Ohhhh.....can we have of theme of 'Cars midlife has physically touched/cursed with photographic proof?"

"dodgestang" said:
Ohhh Ohhhh.....can we have of theme of 'Cars midlife has physically touched/cursed with photographic proof?"

No, don't do that. It'll only spread the curse!

My views.

1. No to self-nominations. I doubt too many here would nominate their own car or vote for a self-nominated ride. This is about peer appreciation.
2. We need to get the voting base increased. What do we average? Something less than 60 votes a month? That is shameful given the membership. Can new members receive a welcome message inviting them to participate in COTM? I know when I first started spending time here I was reluctant to act too prominently until i had some Fix time under my belt. We need to let people know they are a welcome party to the contest. What about a generic auto PM to members reminding them to vote each month?
3. Last, I have a few theme suggestions. Self-painted car. Concourse Restoration. Resto-mod. Maybe based on specific areas...best interior, engine, etc.
4. Finally, we need a months theme devoted to project cars than will never be finished. I want to compete too!

"silverblueBP" said:
I didn't know you HAD a Mustang, T E R R Y.
You're welcome anytime to stop by and check it out. Of course, you will have to help do some work on it while here.

I voiced my opinion in the "May COTM" thread, but I am not a fan of the ridiculous themes. I do not have a problem with some of the more basic themes as listed above such as project cars, late model, etc.....but when you drill down with all the silly requirements such as letters in a plate, one mirror, hood scoop, put together with a left handed speed wrench...UGH

I vote in the poll every month, but am quickly losing interest in the way it has gone the last few months.

My two cents, spend them wisely.

"kb3" said:
I voiced my opinion in the "May COTM" thread, but I am not a fan of the ridiculous themes. I do not have a problem with some of the more basic themes as listed above such as project cars, late model, etc.....but when you drill down with all the silly requirements such as letters in a plate, one mirror, hood scoop, put together with a left handed speed wrench...UGH

I vote in the poll every month, but am quickly losing interest in the way it has gone the last few months.

My two cents, spend them wisely.

WTH, we had 2 GREAT cars this month and last!

"Horseplay" said:
My views.

1. No to self-nominations. I doubt too many here would nominate their own car or vote for a self-nominated ride. This is about peer appreciation.
2. We need to get the voting base increased. What do we average? Something less than 60 votes a month? That is shameful given the membership. Can new members receive a welcome message inviting them to participate in COTM? I know when I first started spending time here I was reluctant to act too prominently until i had some Fix time under my belt. We need to let people know they are a welcome party to the contest. What about a generic auto PM to members reminding them to vote each month?
3. Last, I have a few theme suggestions. Self-painted car. Concourse Restoration. Resto-mod. Maybe based on specific areas...best interior, engine, etc.
4. Finally, we need a months theme devoted to project cars than will never be finished. I want to compete too!

A couple of comments. Under #3 above, self-painted car and concours restorations would most likely involve self-nominations.
For #4 above, there was quite a bit of flack in the past regarding project cars and how they could compete fairly.

Self nomination is the ONLY way my P.O.S. could get nominated!

Personally, I like the looser requirements suggested above, self painted, concours, restomod, etc. After all, it is more about participation than exclusion.

Project cars in my opinion can compete quite fairly against other projects.

8035dedf556c22dd53db6ce28a0030b47fa9aedd_full.jpg

"Sluggo" said:
Personally, I like the looser requirements suggested above, self painted, concours, restomod, etc. After all, it is more about participation than exclusion.

Project cars in my opinion can compete quite fairly against other projects.

8035dedf556c22dd53db6ce28a0030b47fa9aedd_full.jpg

Damn, you're really put on the weight!

"silverblueBP" said:
Self nomination is the ONLY way my P.O.S. could get nominated!

It's the only way my cars ever get nominated, too!

Back