• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Coupes rule

"silverblueBP" said:
Yeah, that new car you have doesn't look like a fastback at all now does it :shrug

:sarc

Just check the Ford name......on the window stickers they are ID'd as Mustang Coupes.....actually, I believe a true fastback has a roof line all the way to the end of the trunk lid....like the 68 Torinos....but my memory is as old as the rest of me so I could be mistaken...... :hide

"gwstang" said:
I remember some years back, on VMF, when Dave Sanborn made an epic post about why the hell anybody would be stupid enough to restore a coup. When it cost just as much to do a fastback! :wtf Good Lord the ruckus that stirred up...definitely was tongue in cheek, but you know how great Sanborn is about putting things in the most delicate manner...lol :nut That was a lot of fun back then before we all got the ban stick. lol :sarc btw I have a coup and it is just as fast as a comparable fb. :thu Man, those were the days. :steer

Let me provide some insight into Sanborn's true feelings on a coupe. I have repeatedly gave Dave hell for his coupe rant. I have a coupe, he ranted, I've met him on a couple occasions, I felt the need to continuously throw this in his face. Dave has expressed his feelings that he has nothing against coupes and has actually owned a few. It was mere tongue in cheek. I drove my coupe 5 hrs last year to MBB III. Dave looked it over, said he was impressed a couple times and his wife even placed some "momentos" on my car. At that time I thought all was well with Mr. Sanborn and my below average coupe. During this event my alt light was staying on. While at Ron's house I enlisted the services of the "Impressed Dr. Sanborn" to assist me in checking out the electrical system. Crank car, turn on radio, rev engine, all the while Dave is under the hood of MY COUPE testing the voltage to the battery, alternator, etc. Resting assured that the Impressed Dr. Sanborn gave my less-than-stellar coupe a clean bill of health I determined it was nothing more than a fluke and would track down the idiot light problem when I arrived back to Hickory. After all, the battery showed good and according to Impressed Dr. Sanborn the alternator he thoroughly checked was in good working order. Anyway, the drive home went well with the light staying on and about 45 minutes from home I pulled over for a pee break. When I went back to the car it would not crank....dead battery. But, I had not run any electronics for the 5 hour trip?! We jump the car and I proceed home. Once home I go under the hood and what do I find? The wiring harness to my alternator (which Impressed Dr. Sanborn thoroughly checked) was operating on 50% connectivity. 3 wires, 1 completely disconnected, 1 halfway connected. But, but, but.......this is the same alternator Impressed Dr. Sanborn gave a clean bill of health to? This is the same alternator HE inspected? This is the same alternator HE touched.........................................AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Manual transmissions rule

Coupes, fastbacks and convertibles are all good with me, unless they are equipped with a automatic slush drive transmission. :sarc

index.php

fd

Attachments

• Hijack-In_progress.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 62
"Horseplay" said:
So are you implying Dave missed the obvious or that he sabotaged your coupe?

I shall assume/imply nothing. I mean really, it IS a coupe....with an automatic to boot.

It's been a long while since I read Dave's post regarding coupes but if memory serves he was referring more to if you ever want to get anywhere near your investment back out of a car then you're a moron to rebuild a coupe when you could spend the same money rebuilding a fastback that if the time ever comes to sell will bring in a much higher sales price.

I could be wrong but that seems to be what I recall.

Duane, Dave didn't mess with your alternator but Mark said he spotted an owl under the hood that might have done it :nut

"RustyRed" said:
It's been a long while since I read Dave's post regarding coupes but if memory serves he was referring more to if you ever want to get anywhere near your investment back out of a car then you're a moron to rebuild a coupe when you could spend the same money rebuilding a fastback that if the time ever comes to sell will bring in a much higher sales price.

Duane, Dave didn't mess with your alternator but Mark said he spotted an owl under the hood that might have done it :nut

from what ive seen at car shows and online it seems like coupes are harder to come by these days then fastbacks. Yea you can get them for cheaper but they seem to be less available. Maybe one day the value of coupes will go up as they become rarer and theres more dynacorn fatbacks rolling around then originals.

"Daves69Coupe" said:
from what ive seen at car shows and online it seems like coupes are harder to come by these days then fastbacks. Yea you can get them for cheaper but they seem to be less available. Maybe one day the value of coupes will go up as they become rarer and theres more dynacorn fatbacks rolling around then originals.
There are dozens of coupes for every fastback out there. The value may rise over time but it will never reach that of a fastback simply because of the sheer numbers of coupes built. That and fastbacks are just way better! :pbj :pbj :pbj

I agree it'll never reach fastback money but I like going to shows and seeing 1 coupe to 5-10 fastbacks. Last year at Ford nationals in carlisle,pa there must of been 20 69 Fastbacks/ sportsroofs and not 1 coupe. Made me feel good about mine being different.

My thinking is to each his own.

My car has a lot of "punch" to it when I drive it and it gets a lot of comments / compliments when I have it out.

I like fastbacks and verts also but I didn't want to pay the jacked up price to get one. :roll

Fastbacks (technically 2+2's), rule the roost and everything else is just a waste of time and money. There...end of conversation.

"silverblueBP" said:
Fastbacks (technically 2+2's), rule the roost and everything else is just a waste of time and money. There...end of conversation.

Unless their motors are blown up...just sayin :roll

Coupes are not at shows because the owners know it is more fun to drive them than park in the sun.......

I remember when a certain Mod would've changed your avatar for that one!

"RustyRed" said:

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner. That was exactly the point I was trying to make.... that everybody blew out of proportion claiming that I offended their beloved Coupes.

Duane, If you remember correctly I checked your ALT output at the ALT, not at the BAT and confirmed that your ALT was putting out more than enough power to charge your BAT. I gave your ALT the thumbs up. Was I supposed to TS your ALT wire harness also? When you bring your car this year have a list ready of the things you'd like me to TS/fix so that there is no confusion. Keep in mind that our time to mess with the cars is the same time we've set aside to drink beer. Don't expect much. lol

"silverblueBP" said:
I remember when a certain Mod would've changed your avatar for that one!

Hummm....I'll see if I can find a picture of a blown motor to use as an avatar :steer

Back