• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Custom Center Console Part 3

A

Anonymous

Wow Jake, I am impressed with your woodworking skills...especially from someone that normally carries a bucket of crack spackle!

Looks good man :toot

lethal289

"silverblueBP" said:
Wow Jake, I am impressed with your woodworking skills...especially from someone that normally carries a bucket of crack spackle!

Looks good man :toot
Thanks mark

"70_Fastback" said:
That's what she said... :nice
:rofl :bird :2guns

And great job so far! Can't wait to see it finished.
Dont worry, progress is on its way.... Just give a little more time to get all the materials together.

A

Anonymous

"70_Fastback" said:
No rush buddy. It isn't like I'm holding my breath or anything.

He's still ass deep into a design that incorporates a commode into the console :wor

lethal289

After giving the vinyl a couple days, i re-stretched it over the arm rest. Now i need to decide if i want to logo it or not. What do you think?

166_14_10_09_12_47_50_0.jpg

166_14_10_09_12_47_50_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AtlantaSteve

Depends. If you're just going to use a patch like the one photographed, I'd pass on that.

If you're going to have an embroidery shop with a fancy computer controlled embroidering machine do it, it might end up pretty cool. For my money I'd go with just the running horse and leave off the tri-bars, but that's a personal taste thing. I'm kinda over the bars.

lethal289

There was a loud ring at the door today, and it was big brown truck. :yikes Big thanks to gotstang and AtlantaSteve. These guys helped me find this awesome piece of 1/8 inch thick aluminum. It will soon be the base of my console from under the armrest to under the radio. The finish is lacking at the moment, but i think some elbow grease could solve that issue.
Now the real fun will soon begin.

166_14_10_09_2_53_32.jpg

lethal289

It was that e-bay auction. Good stuff. Its a strong piece, and for 53 inchs long, i was surprised how rigid it is.

lethal289

After much debate and some research, i went with shellac as my sealer of choice. It needs diluted with alcohol in order to be sprayed properly. I see the common finish, is 2 parts shellac, to 5 parts alcohol. I found that with my oldest primer gun, with a 1.8 inch tip, that a 1:1 ratio sprayed nicely. So i went with that. After one coat it was obvious the color of the piece changed immediately. The shellac really seems to darken up the mdf. I put 3 heavy coats on. And i mean heavy. I wasn't trying for runs, but i got one. and when i went back for the second coat, the run actually dissipated out into the piece. I was shocked because now there are no sighs of it.

166_16_10_09_2_16_33_3.jpg

166_16_10_09_2_16_32_2.jpg

As evident in this piece where ever i got the wood glue, the shellac would show much yellower.

166_16_10_09_2_16_32_1.jpg

On a few Audio Forums, the sealer of choice for mdf is a 50/50 ratio of Yellow glue and water, I was reluctant to put anything with water on it, so i went with the shellac. I think the yellow glue may have done the job too. It appears to have worked well in that pic.

Ohh, and never mind the kitty litter buckets. You have to use what works :pep

6t6red

We would never make any comments about your bucket. The console looks to be coming along great. :toot