• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Custom Center Console Part 3

Thanks Craig, The console metal starts at 8 - 1/8 wide, and is about 38 inchs long. That leaves a little room to play on each side for that perfect fit... :dance I should have a chance to call mort tmw. Ill let you know.

"tarafied1" said:
well they don't list the temper. 3003 is a "strain hardened" alloy and could be cold worked and heat treated to a pretty high strength.
Strain hardened (cold worked) with or without thermal treatment
-H1
Strain hardened without thermal treatment
-H2
Strain hardened and partially annealed
-H3
Strain hardened and stabilized by low temperature heating
Second digit
A second digit denotes the degree of hardness
-HX2 = 1/4 hard
-HX4 = 1/2 hard
-HX6 = 3/4 hard
-HX8 = full hard
-HX9 = extra hard
so for example if it's 3003 H19, it will be much more brittle than 3003 O temper or F (as fabricated)...

Just to close this one out, i asked him about the temper, and i just got a response. He said that its h14 which is way to hard for my needs. Thanks for the help craig.

[member]Getting back on track, I found a source for stainless steel here locally so i never called Mort. After playing around with it for a while, i realized the thinner gauge just wasn't helping me manipulate it the way i wanted too. I went back to the original aluminum, and proceeded to make the center section out of three individual pieces. Pics are too follow.
[/member]

[member]I cut the base out to fit around the shifter.

166_21_11_09_3_15_19_0.jpg

Marked a more exact hole in the aluminum Piece

166_21_11_09_3_15_20_1.jpg

Cut it out rough and filed it smooth. I also marked the location of the trim bezel for the shifter. This is a pic of the rough cut.

166_21_11_09_3_15_22_2.jpg

Then i mounted the bezel.

166_21_11_09_3_15_22_3.jpg

166_21_11_09_3_15_24_4.jpg

[/member]

Sorry for the crappy pics, the light in my garage sucked, one of my 8 foot bulbs went out and i have to go pick some up.

Last edited by a moderator:
[member]i Mounted the back plate with two nickel screws. The kind that hold door hinges on. I counter sunk them in the aluminum. When the glove box is closed, they are located high enough that they are not even noticeable while sitting in the car.

166_21_11_09_3_20_25_0.jpg

I purchased a chrome piano hinge from one of the big box home centers, it mounts nicely on the mdf, and feels real secure. it also hold the glove box lid in the open position with no problems.

166_21_11_09_3_20_26_1.jpg

I used a radio delete gauge bezel and mounted the radio in the console. I figure the radio is easier to remove then the gauges if i ever need to get under the console for somethig.

166_21_11_09_3_20_26_2.jpg

Pretty much a final pic showing the overall placement of the console. I can say this, im glad this project is now behind me.

166_21_11_09_3_20_26_3.jpg
[/member]

Only thing needed now is a good cleaning and detailing of the passenger compartment. There is saw dust and finger prints on everything. Its shown in the pics, so i will post new ones once everything is cleaned up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that looks gr.r.r.r.r.reat! I made a console for my fist car, it's a lot of work. Man, you did a nice job on that , congratulations :pep

That looks great. So when are you going to start making ours. :lol Jake, where did you get that gauge pod from.

Thanks paul.

the gauge pod is from mustangs unlimited, because it wasn't offered by NPD. I have since found out that Laurel mountain mustang also sells the same one on ebay for 15 dollars less.

"6t6red" said:
So when are you going to start making ours.

You never know... Maybe sooner then you think. :lol :craz :lol

"Opentracker" said:
Wow, that looks gr.r.r.r.r.reat! I made a console for my fist car, it's a lot of work. Man, you did a nice job on that , congratulations :pep
Thanks john, you were a big part in me getting it done. Have any pics of that first console? :lol

Jake you got skills, that whole car is sweet! Thanks for sharing more on the hood last night in the chat room! Now that it is legal and console is in, drive it like you stole it!

Back