1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Damn!

Discussion in 'General Mustang Discussion' started by Makedust, Mar 6, 2018.

1. JeffTepper

JeffTepper Well-Known Member

Before you go an accept that settlement check, do your homework. The value of the car pre-crash is the key to determining whether the car is a total loss or not. Things you need to know include the value of your car pre-crash and the cost of repairs due to the crash.
    Keep in mind that when it comes to "totaled" its comes down to a dollar number that is a percentage of the total value of the pre-crash car. For example if the car was worth $10,000 before the crash and the insurance company considers damage more than 75% of the value to be total loss, your car is repairable so long as the cost of repairs is less than $7500.00.
    Further, keep in mind that the cost of paint matching and blending can be a large number of dollars. You car appears to be a black primer so blending and matching may not be a factor in reaching the threshold percentage of damage.
    Last, but not least, get an estimate from a reputable body shop for damage repair and see where you end up.
    Check recent sales of similar cars for an idea of the fair market value, pre-crash.
    If the numbers make sense, argue/negotiate a settlement with the adjuster.

2. Makedust

Makedust New Member

I can’t find anything comparable to what I have in a registered and driveable condition within a 500 mile radius for less than $17000.
    It’s going to be about $1800 in parts excluding shipping.
    I’m almost done with this job so I’ll have a couple of weeks free afterwards.
    I’ll refute the total loss claim and just fix it myself rather than have a salvage title.
    Hopefully I’ll have it done by the fall.

3. Mach1Mark

Mach1Mark Ramrod extraordinaire Donator

Ask around for a classic car appraiser to do a pre-crash appraisal. I did one once many years ago for an insurance company. The owner, a nineteen y.o. claimed a '69 sportsroof was worth $10,000 before the crash. I came up with a vastly lower number and the kids attorney dad threatened to see me in court. I never got a call. They must have settled.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  4. Makedust

Makedust New Member

Well I sure sweated off that hangover real quick.
    Now I’m all in for this one.
    It’s going to be bear putting this back together.

Attached Files:

Grabber70Mach likes this.
  5. Horseplay

Horseplay Well-Known Member

Looks better already! You'll get there soon enough.

6. janschutz

janschutz Corn Hauler

Great progress already!

7. KBMWRS

KBMWRS What did the moron say today?

Its the Jeep "doors off edition" Mustang.