• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

F-250 dohhhh! moment

I had an F350 way back in 76 and the gross vehicle weight was 10,000 lbs. The truck weighed in around 2.5 tons, so it would haul 2.5 tons. I don't know why they call them 1 ton trucks, since thats only 2000 lbs. Does anybody know?
A trucks GVW is not exclusive to the amount of weight it's bed is designed to carry. A portion of that potential GVW is represented by its tongue weight capacity, for example. When referring to a truck as a 3/4 or 1 ton one is specifically calling out it's bed capacity. A F-350 is not a 1 ton. Depending on set-up (dually, for example) it might be able to handle up to say 7,500 lbs in the bed. Most stock, basic type F-150s are 3/4 ton. Stock, basic F-250s step up to just over a ton. I think the terms 3/4 and 1 ton are just generic carry overs from long ago that are still common in today's vernacular.

I laugh at your baby trucks.
I drove a 2008 F450 crew cab long bed dually 4x4 for years.....who has the baby truck now? {.} Yes I sold it when we moved from a 40' toyhauler to a Class A RV. So now I just have a little F350 crew cab.

I had an F350 way back in 76 and the gross vehicle weight was 10,000 lbs. The truck weighed in around 2.5 tons, so it would haul 2.5 tons. I don't know why they call them 1 ton trucks, since thats only 2000 lbs. Does anybody know?
Past practice. We use to haul 10 ton in 2 1/2 ton truck.

Funny story; my friend had a 55 or so Chevy truck. He had it loaded with particle board. He said the steering was feeling kinda light when he pulled into the driveway. A neighbor came out to talk and in the course of things one of them put a foot up on the rear bumper- just to rest it there, and the front wheels came off the ground.

Thats why you need the mega cab option. That extra length helps keep the nose down. Good winch and bumper don't hurt either.

20230414_154004.jpg

Back