• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

F.M.L.

daveSanborn

So..... next week Gabby and I are flying out to San Diego for her brothers wedding. I hadn't been too excited about it, but figured it'd get me away from this freakin' humidity for 5 days.

Gabby got a call last night from the bride to be. The girl ordered her wedding dress on-line.... who the fuck does this? She found out via an email from the on-line company (on Sunday?) that her dress was back ordered and wouldn't be shipped out until a month after her wedding. Her money can't be refunded until ~10 days after her order is cancelled and the young(er) family doesn't have the cash to fund another dress purchase. The bride to be was crying hysterically.....

Guess who's now buying a MF wedding dress?

Where the fuck are this girls parents? Supposedly they're local and will be at the wedding to give their daughter away at her first marriage.

I'm fucking pissed. Not so much at the bride to be, but at the girls parents. Total BS. I've agreed to "not make a scene" about it during the wedding reception.... which means that I'll have to be very careful of my alcohol consumption. So now we're buying the dress, I'm pissed AND I can't drink too much at the reception.

:po

I would start drinking now......non stop until the wedding was over....and then...... :vic for you.

You should hook up with Sluggo's wife, they did an online wedding dress for their daughters wedding and it was pretty damn nice and really, really affordable.

So why not get her a dress on flea bay. Took me 5 minutes to find this one. Bet that there are better deals out there. Just say'in...

FML :lol :lol :lol

fd

They better forward the cash from the cancel dress order when it arrives. As said start drinking ASAP.

Keep your mouth shut so you can use this for your benefit at a latter date.

Dave:

How long are you planning to be in SoCal? I'm flying down to Newport Beach on Saturday the 19th for a week. San Diego is only another 90 miles !!

Thanks for buying my daughter's dress, Dave... I need all the help I can get with these expenses. :dumas

Oh, and we aren't serving booze at the reception, either, since I'm a cheap bastard... :nk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(For those who don't know, my daughter really is getting married this Saturday, but it's not the same wedding Dave is going to)
(And freaking weddings ARE EXPENSIVE - I'm ALMOST done writing checks now)

I've got a question. When you found this out, why wasn't there a Daveism put into place? I'm starting to think you're just a bad-ass on the interweb. This would've been the perfect opportunity.

internettoughguy.jpg

"JeffTepper" said:
Dave:

How long are you planning to be in SoCal? I'm flying down to Newport Beach on Saturday the 19th for a week. San Diego is only another 90 miles !!

Jeff,

The wedding is the 26th..... "next" weekend we'll be in SoCal, not "this" weekend. I'd love to drop Gabby.... and my mother-in-law.... off at her brothers house and go hide somewhere for a few hours, but I doubt that will be a possibility. As I envision it, I'll probably be forced to participate in numerous last minute emergencies right up until the time of the wedding.... which I believe is mid-afternoon on Saturday. We will however be arriving in SanDiego early in the day on Friday... If I can escape for a few hours Friday evening I'll give you a call. Please PM me your cell#.

The rest of you all,

As if I had any choice whatsoever in purchasing a wedding dress. The conversation between Gabby and I went something like this.....

Gabby: "I'm on the phone with my soon to be sister-in-law.... she's crying hysterically....her dress will not be available in time for the wedding... the refund for the dress will not be made until after the wedding..... there is no-one else to step in and help them buy a dress..... we're buying her dress.

Me: WTF? Why do we

Gabby: I'm glad you approve.

Me: (long pause) Do not tell me how much it cost.

There are certain "battles" that I'll fight, but standing between Gabby and her kid brothers wedding isn't one of them.

Here's a cell phone picture of the bride getting her dress fitted.

untitled-1.jpg

I've never met Gabby in person, but she seems one of the good ones; for good women, there are sometimes you just let them do what they want to do-

I might be able to set up an emergency Mustang pick up in northern Ca. that you could drive back...... :lol

"apollard" said:
there are sometimes you just let them do what they want to do-

LMAO, there is a difference between "letting" and "having your nuts handed to you on a silver platter". Gabby is cool as shit but I wouldn't want to cross her on a bad day. I think she's capable of some serious ass-whoopin'.

You definitely had NO CHOICE on this particular turn of events.

Hang tight; play it cool, and you'll have some serious negotiating power sometime in the future.

Good luck staying quiet when you meet the bride's parents.

Just stand up after the wedding service is done and ask for your dress back.................

A wise man knows how to pick the battles to fight and the ones to let go.

I'm suspicious by nature, so I find it curious that no one else would step up.

Doesn't anyone on the bride's side of the family own a credit card?

Dave , Ya did what ya had to do. The words 'help buy the dress' would suggest they will pay you back some if not all of the costs. The differrence should be your wedding present to them. And as others have said you now have some serious leverage for future marrriage negotiations.

Have a positive outlook for your visit out here. It ain't all bad. :pbj

Back