• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Falcon/Mustang ignition switch & pigtail

tarafied1

PO has hacked the pigtail off for the ignition switch. I have a Falcon switch, will the pigtail for a 65/66 Mustang work?
http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake- ... /p/HW2907/
HW2907.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the 64.5 ignition plug is the same as the 65-67 plug. I have a 64 comet harness in my inventory, but it cannot be fully repaired should you need some other plugs.

thanks Mid, I may need more once get into it. The 67 is different. I have a 67 Mustang switch too and it looks different than the Falcon connection.
I understand the instrument cluster is the same. There is no connector on the Falcon, like the 67/68. I can unplug the harness on the cluster of the 67/68 but not on the Falcon :rant

The ignition switch itself looks very different, but the plugs are the same.

"Midlife" said:
The ignition switch itself looks very different, but the plugs are the same.
the one on the right is the Falcon, the left is from a 67 Mustang

Oh my! I've never seen that style of plug before. My 64 comet is missing its ignition plug...sorry that I can't help you.

That looks just like the backside of the switch for my 65... my guess is the pig tail for the 65 would work...

My bad...I always see the mates to these ignition switches.

The one on the right appears to be a 67 ignition switch: the tab on the outside is for powering up the brake MC signal.

The one on the left appears to be a 68-69 ignition switch.

I believe the description of the picture is reversed. The 67 ignition switch can be used with earlier models, but you need to protect the tab on the outside from shorting to ground.

The one I have identified as a 67 on the left could be a 68. I have lots of 68 parts also but the other on the right is definitely prior to 67 because is has the older style key that can only go in one way. 67 and later had a key that could go up or down. The newer switch will not fit in the dash without modification. It's bigger in diameter.

"tarafied1" said:
The wiring is pretty nasty. I may just try to get a 65/66 Mustang harness for it. Or Painless.
Or you could send it to me to look it over. If I can repair it, it'll be $175; if I can't, it'll be returned to you at no charge.

"tarafied1" said:
Deal. It's missing a lot of the connectors. Do you update or repair the underwood stuff too?

...be careful what you ask Midlife.....

I refuse to answer on the grounds that I might get Kat excited...

If you meant the underhood, I can give it a try. If connectors plus pigtails are missing, I may not be able to match the length correctly, giving you fitment problems. I simply don't have a template to work from for this year/model. Electrically, I should be able to get you up and functional.

Sorry. Using my iphone and it likes to change the words on me!
Yes meant underhood.
That is the biggest mess. Under the dash isn't too bad other than the ignition switch plug. Might be worse once I remove it and see.
The engine compartment is very much like a 65/66 Mustang. That's why I figured I would just get a harness for a Mustang rather than try to find one for a Falcon. Plus it was a generator car but I'm not going to use one.

Changing from a generator to an alternator may require wiring changes under the hood. Since I don't know what changes are needed, perhaps the best thing is to convert everything over to Mustang wiring or Painless? To do so successfully depends a lot on where the firewall plugs are along with various items.

Sure! Make sure there are some nearly nekkid wimmen photos in there as well...

Back