• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel sending unit gasket help...

stump

Sorry if this has been covered but my quick search didn't find what I'm after...

I can't seem to get the gasket of my new sending unit in place, or more accurately, to stay in place. Can someone help with obvious technique that I missed, or the whatever has worked for you? ('66 Fastback if that's important).

I could have asked this question 2 hours and 5 gal of gas earlier, but what fun would that have been?

Thanks,
Gary

Apply vaseline to the gasket, which helps to hold it in place. Patience, grasshopper...patience.

As mentioned.....a bit of that stuff he uses works great. Should be a part of every sheepherders tool box.

You're thinking of something else. Vaseline doesn't contain lanolin.

Gasket=I assume you mean the rubber o-ring that sits under the sending unit flange? If so, blue Hylomar

I used a product by Permatex, a "form-a-gasket" product from a tube, it's grey and will not harden with time and states it's ok to use around gasoline.

Thanks, all, for the recommendations...

But, before I get started, I just want to mention, as I've spent most of my life as a soldier (an enlisted one at that), I do much better with specific, step-by-step type instructions... With that said, do I want the o-ring held to the tank or sending unit during reassembly?

I believe it fits into the sending unit, but slips when you tighten down the retaining ring. I don't believe there is any retaining ring on the tank itself.

Apply a coating to the Oring and place it on the tank.
It has a small lip that will hold it in.
Slip sender in and twist on locking ring till tabs hit the stops.

Yes, o-ring on the tank with something to hold it in place. There is a grove for it to sit in. Try not to rotate the sending unit when inserting it as that can dislodge the o-ring. The o-rings sometimes seem loose also so just work it into the groove lightly.

Amazing what a little help do... Now, a full tank registers as half. Is correcting simply bending the float arm?

Yes......... I normally work at 1/4 tank for accurate gauge readings. Put in 4 gal., see what it reads. Drain tank, bend float arm, install and put 4 gal back in...check gauge. About three times gets me where it is right on. I did one car by lifting the front so the gas ran to the back of the tank....had no drain plug. I never care what it reads when full.....but getting close to empty is important.

Another way is to send the sedning unit to Craig in Cali....he has a neat little cutaway for doing the adjustments...

"stump" said:
Amazing what a little help do... Now, a full tank registers as half. Is correcting simply bending the float arm?

Yes I agree with Pete 100% by installing 4 gallons and adjust the float to be as accurate as possible for the 1/4 tank reading. This is the most important reading for you since it's getting close to being empty.

If it reads too full bend the arm from the elbow C to the arm B upward a tad, meaning putting more inward degree at the elbow, opposite of straightening the arm out.

Straightening the arm out causes the reading to be higher.

sendingunit.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
And hopefully you have a drain plug in your tank. I have a couple dedicated 5 gallon plastic buckets which I have marked on the side in 1 gallon incriments. Jack up the back of the car so that the gas runs forward towards the drain plug. Pull the plug and dump the gas. If you think you have more than 5 gallons in the tank, the reason to have another bucket standing by.

Once you have drained the tank, please note that there is still some gas at the bottom. Note the elevation location of the plug as compared to the bottom of the tank. Thus when you pull the sending unit have a bucket or something under the sending unit ready to catch what might be remaining if any, or once you have drained the tank via the plug, lower the car back onto the ground, then pull the sending unit. This way will prevent the remaining gas to stay in the tank.

Once you've done this a couple times, you can do it in your sleep.

"Fast68back" said:
When I finally correct my gauge, I'm doing it with the tank out of the car........

The only issue there is be sure you get the angle of the tank close to how it sits in the car. I have done one that way. The advantage is you can tip the tank to move the gas away from the sending unit for removal and adjustment.

Of course you should always have one of these very handy tools
aefee46b-3cf0-d48c.jpg

TapaYakin' from my iPhone

Back