• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel sending unit gasket help...

"cmayna" said:
Of course you should always have one of these very handy tools
aefee46b-3cf0-d48c.jpg

TapaYakin' from my iPhone
And where did you find such a gem of a tool?

In my tool box along side another one just like it. "They are multiplying like rabbits!"

You should give them away to good homes then.... I would take real good care of one. :roll

I am considering (just considering) loaning out my sending unit fixture which will include the wrench and the different pedestals 16gal-1/4 tank, 16gal-1/2 tank, 20gal-1/4 tank, 20 gal-1/2 tank. I will do a seperate new post if I decide to move forward.

4-080512065247-98401068.jpeg

4-080512065249-98421708.jpeg

If you decide to loan it, you might want to consider bracing the portion the gauge mounts in. It looks like it could get bent a bit with multiple people handling it, between packing and unpacking plus the mounting and removing of the sending unit.

Might be a better deal for you to charge a small amount to "set" a sending unit there and return to the owner. Maybe even purchase one sending unit new, set it, and do an exchange system. This is not like the fender roller that has to be done on the car.

There is the problem, however, of alignment of the sending unit in the tank. If other than perfectly vertical, it will read lower than the actual fuel load.

But, some ability has to be given/left to the owner of the car........like your harness repair.....gotta be able to install it correctly.

Now girls...........keep in mind that the sending units have two dog ears or tabs that prevents you from installing the sending unit wrong. But I will say that I have seen some in position yet the pick up tube is slightly cocked over to the side so I tweak them a tad. Not too many but just a couple.

TapaYakin' from my iPhone

"cmayna" said:
I am considering (just considering) loaning out my sending unit fixture which will include the wrench and the different pedestals 16gal-1/4 tank, 16gal-1/2 tank, 20gal-1/4 tank, 20 gal-1/2 tank. I will do a seperate new post if I decide to move forward.

4-080512065247-98401068.jpeg

4-080512065249-98421708.jpeg

Fantastic contraption!!!

"cmayna" said:
So back to the OP (Stump), where are you on this project?

Ran out of weekend; so it is up on stands, with the tank empty, waiting for the first bend of the float arm...

If you haven't done so yet, check the float for leaks. Plastic or metal? Just a reminder that since your gauge is reading low, you will be straightening out the arm just a tad at the elbow. As Pete and others have suggested work with an exact 4 gallons, to ensure you dial in the quarter tank reading, which is most important.

I wanted to also elaborate a tad on installing the sending unit. As previously mentioned you adhere the rubber o-ring to the groove of the tank. Installing the sending unit without disrupting the o-ring takes a little practice. It's all a technique on how to feed in the float first, then the inlet tube portion of the sending unit, etc. Twisting and turning the unit while not touching the 0-ring.

As you get it almost into place remember there are the two tabs on the flange of the sending unit which align with the two notches in the opening of the tank.

Finally once you have the sending unit resting against the 0-ring, carefully keep the pressure against the 0-ring while you position the lock ring against the sending unit's flange. Twist clockwise as much as you can by hand. Finishing twisting the lockring into place with whatever tool you have.

Maybe I should do a simple you-tube on this subject........Hmmmmmm

"cmayna" said:
If you haven't done so yet, check the float for leaks. Plastic or metal? Just a reminder that since your gauge is reading low, you will be straightening out the arm just a tad at the elbow. As Pete and others have suggested work with an exact 4 gallons, to ensure you dial in the quarter tank reading, which is most important.

The float (plastic) was full of fuel. The replacement is metal...

A full float will cause you to have a lower reading than it really is.

Might check where it is at with a new float before "fixing".

"AzPete" said:
A full float will cause you to have a lower reading than it really is.

Might check where it is at with a new float before "fixing".

With the old (full of fuel) float it stayed on empty. It's only since I replaced the unit that I have a half reading on a full tank... Tonight I'll make the first bend with 4 gal in the tank...

How about swapping the new float for the old one (it will snap into place), assuming the old sending unit was accurate, except for the leaking float. If it was me, I'd go this route instead of fiddling with the arm bending of the new unit.

Back