• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Headers

I'm looking headers with the following attributes:

- Full length
- Tuned 1-5/8" primaries
- 3" ball and socket style collector
- Works with cable clutched T-5
- Optimized ground clearance

The Hooker Super Comps I'm using now have terrible ground clearance, so improving that is what's motivating the change. I've looked at a lot of brands on line, but don't really know which ones are better than others and why. So what I'm looking for are opinions from those with experience as to what they do and don't like about their headers.
The car is a '65 with a 289 and the aforementioned T-5.

I have these FPA headers for the t-5 application. I have had them for 3 years with no issue with melting the clutch cable jacket. They tuck up between the front frame rails real good for ground clearance. They are pricey but worth it IMO.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/347step.htm

The link shows stepped tubes. I just have the 1 5/8.

Yeah, I've heard and read about those. Thing is, they aren't tuned. I know it's not a big difference, but the headers I have now are, and I have a problem with going backwards in that respect.
But I'm curious. What diameter is the collector, and how much do these headers cost?

They have a 3 inch collector and they cost me about $800.00 with shipping and ceramic coating.

I too have ceramic coated Hooker Super Comps on my 70 Mach. I dropped the car just this weekend (been on jacks for over year) and my drivers header hangs very low. Post up what you find to remedy your situation.

Also, ANYTHING has got to fit better than these did.....

Unless you are a serious drag racer looking for extreme high-end H.P., long tubes are not going to do anything for you but cause you headaches on install and ground clearance issues. The few H.P. gained will not ever be seen on the street. Even at the strip, it will not be a recognizable advantage for 90% of racers.
By using shorties you gain much more in the way of installation ease and savings. And, you still get the visual appeal of the header look in your engine bay.

"miketyler" said:
I too have ceramic coated Hooker Super Comps on my 70 Mach. I dropped the car just this weekend (been on jacks for over year) and my drivers header hangs very low. Post up what you find to remedy your situation.

Also, ANYTHING has got to fit better than these did.....

Just your driver's side? Is your engine level? Mine hangs low, but they both hang low. They actually fit very well otherwise. I want to use full length headers for the old school look. Shorties weren't around in the era I'm wanting to make it look like. My headers are over 30 years old and have never been damaged, so idunno. my car sits pretty high, so maybe I'll leave it like it is for now. It really didn't bother me until I attached the new exhaust system, and of course it sits low also. I may also just modify them to make them sit higher. I'll let you know what I decide. I know one thing, I'm not paying $800 for headers!

I havent driven the car yet but with it as low as it is, I am already looking at other options if I need to opt out on them. Car has been dropped 4". If I do decide to swap I would think shorty's, tri-Y, or might even go back to exhaust manifolds.

Attachments

• IMG_8363.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_8367.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 157
Sanderson makes a great product, but don't expect quick shipping. Figure a minimum of 6-8 weeks for delivery.

Re: Re: Headers

"kb3" said:
Sanderson makes a great product, but don't expect quick shipping. Figure a minimum of 6-8 weeks for delivery.

+1.

I got a set of sanderson headers from Pete. Had to exchange them for a different set because of the AOD I put in. They swapped them at no charge for me even though I didn't buy from them. It took about 3 months. They are a very nice quality piece.

Glad you mentioned that as I am running AOD. Do you know which part number they gave you? The only shorty they have for 351C in 65-73 Mustang is FC4-SEC

Interesting also the "no gasket required" design. So how do you like them so far? Iss the excessive heat in the engine bay noticeable?

I don't think Pat has even fired his car since he got the headers.

I was worried about the "no gasket" design but so far no leaks. We have probably put about 500 miles on the setup but I am pleased with the headers. As for heat, I have nothing to compare to.

No, I haven't started the car yet. Should be running by the end of April. I'm almost done.
I have the ff3 headers for a 302. When I sent in the ones I bought, I told them I needed them for an AOD and they made a set. If you go with them just call them and tell them you have that trans.

I havent ruled out going back to exhaust manifolds. Dont suppose any of you guys have a pair of those laying around for 70 351c 4V?

Sandersons 351C 4V w/C6 put AOD in it now but made no exhaust changes.

DS

brakes001.jpg

brakes002.jpg

brakes002.jpg

brakes004.jpg

PS

brakes005.jpg

brakes005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back