• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Headers

From the little research I have done the FPA headers are the only full length set that reprtedly fit well and hug the bottom side. Lots of guys run long tubes without any problem. Are you running stock ride height?

Pretty much stock ride height. No offense to anyone, but to spend $800 on something that just steers the exhaust out of the engine and vehicle sounds insane to me. They also aren't tuned and don't have the ball and socket collector I'm looking for.
Hedman Elite headers have everything I'm looking for, but I'm not sure how low they would hang. I really suspect that the biggest problem with mine is that they were intended to be used on both 289/302's and 351W's, so they end up hanging much lower on the 289. I wonder if just getting decent headers that aren't designed for both applications would help.
There are also a couple different tri-y's that look promising, but I"m not sure that's what I want on the engine I'm building. I guess I was hoping for some alternative that I wasn't aware of. Wishful thinking, it seems...

I like the hedman elites that I have on my 70 coupe with 351w. Plenty of ground clearance. Not sure how much lower they would hang on a 289 or 302. I'm have a c4 transmission. the only issue i have is they get real close to the borgeson steering box.
Rick

"Ricks 70 stang" said:
I like the hedman elites that I have on my 70 coupe with 351w. Plenty of ground clearance. Not sure how much lower they would hang on a 289 or 302. I'm have a c4 transmission. the only issue i have is they get real close to the borgeson steering box.
Rick

My Hookers are really close to the borgeson on my car also, but it's not a problem. Hedman makes different headers for the 289/302 than they do for the 351w, which makes me think they accounted for the height difference. I may pick up a set and try them.

you keep mentioning "tuned" headers. what are they tuned to? how can a manufacturer offer a "tuned" header that would work on more than one engine so they can make money? how would you calculate the lengths of primaries?

are we still talking about 4-stroke engines? or are you used to talking 2-strokes?

To me, tuned headers mean that each tube is designed so the flow is equal and reaching the collector at the perfect time to help scavenge the other tubes. Due to this, tuned headers were always a pain in most cars unless the inner fenders were cut up for fitment. Most tuned headers I saw in my younger days had a fair amount of plumbing and were not compact at all nor were the tubes all lined up neat and pretty.

"AzPete" said:
To me, tuned headers mean that each tube is designed so the flow is equal and reaching the collector at the perfect time to help scavenge the other tubes. Due to this, tuned headers were always a pain in most cars unless the inner fenders were cut up for fitment. Most tuned headers I saw in my younger days had a fair amount of plumbing and were not compact at all nor were the tubes all lined up neat and pretty.

This. Tuned and equal length are the same thing. But they aren't that tough to fit. My Hooker super comps are tuned headers, and fit fine other than hanging too low, which isn't a result of them being tuned.
I plan on running open headers at times, and when doing so equal length primaries can have a significant effect on HP.

"bravenrace" said:
This. Tuned and equal length are the same thing. But they aren't that tough to fit. My Hooker super comps are tuned headers, and fit fine other than hanging too low, which isn't a result of them being tuned.
I plan on running open headers at times, and when doing so equal length primaries can have a significant effect on HP.

i've heard of equal length headers, especially when it comes to shorties. never heard of them called tuned in that regard.

do you have some sort of test data on a long tube that shows the significant effect of equal length primaries?

on a side note, i've read somewhere that the ball and socket itself wasn't a very good design for performance. i'm guessing it has something to do with the shape it creates.

FWIW, I ordered my ceramic Sanderson shorties last week. In my quest to find the best pricing, I submitted a note to one online dealer for price and availability. I got a call from them and the guy tells me that their price is the best on the net (only beating Fatrodder by $5) and that their ceramic coating is a triple coat process, and then followed by polishing making theirs a better product.

I really thought the process was simply prep the work (bead blast in most cases), apply product to work surfaces, and bake. I quickly dismissed this as BS but maybe not? Anyone know specifically what Sanderson uses because I think most dealers will use Sandersons in-house coating.

I would not suggest hedmen elite long tubes for a 67-68 289/302 if the car has been lowered. I have them and hate the ground clearance. Getting rid of them as soon as I can so I don't have to hold my breath going over speed bumps anymore

Got my Sandies a few weeks ago and they are close in a couple of spots but do clear everything. Hopefully I can setup some flex pipe as temp till I can get it to muffler shop to have the collectors up to them.

Back