• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How do you guys heat your garage?

mcconneje

I know, I know, some of you lucky guys don't have to.

But here in Ohio, it gets so cold that for about 3 months of the year, an unheated garage is a useless garage when it comes to working on the 'stang.

I have tried a torpedo heater, but the fumes build up and make the area uninhabitable. If I open the doors or windows for ventilation, it defeats the purpose of the heater. I have thought of a woodstove, but in researching that, I find that there are likely some Fire Code/Insurance regs that would be a problem. I tried a kerosene heater, but my garage is a three car model, and the kerosene stand alone type heater can't efficiently heat that big of an area.

I hate not being able to work on my car, but I hate frostbite more. Any thoughts that don't include moving to south FLA?

No heat required out here. But growing up we had an old wood burning stove out in the shop did a pretty good job on heating up a shop the size of a large 2 car garage.

For the 2 cold days down here I insulated the garage door, added to the insulation in the attic and tied into the duct coming out of the air handler on the central air/ heat unit with a vent and it does a real good job of keeping it cool/warm and is controlled by the inside thermostat. It was more for the A.C in the summer, but it works either way.

The single best thing you can do is insulate the garage well. If not insulated well it is hard to keep the garage warm and is also very costly to keep it heated.

In your case I would hang a plastic sheet down from the ceiling to make the square footage smaller and easier to heat. You might be able to get away with an electric heater then.

It really doesn't get that cold down here. However, my garage has one of the upstairs rooms over it. So when it's cold out if I close all the garage doors it stays reasonably warm.

It's cold here for 6 months, it's unbearable for 3. I use a propane convection heater which I tied into my main tank line. Unlimited heat and I'm not screwing around with 20lb bottles. It heats it up pretty quick and then I turn it down to maintain.

Forgot to add, it's a 3 car garage, well insulated, insulated door and high ceilings. It's not too bad until the therm-o-meter hits single digits outside.

Mine is insulated and for the last three days of work in it, I used one 5 gal tank of propane with this heater. http://www.thehewitt.net/guru/garage/heater1.jpg

It worked well. Cost was about $5.00 a day. I don't work out there for weeks at a time when it is cold, so when I do I just break out the 35000 BTU heater. My garage is 12' ceilings, three car and a work area. Pretty large for an attached garage.

At some point I am going to put a natural gas heater in. I am thinking of just buying a furnace and have my HVAC guy install it in the attic and run a thermostat. Keep it at 50 unless I am working out there.

I also know that door placement is super important. I goofed that one up, my doors face North. Should have done it to the South.

Mel

As mentioned, single most important thing is insulating the garage. I have a 22x23 attached to the house, fully insulated with finished walls (drywall.) My garage door is also insulated. Temperature rarely gets below 50 with no heat going in there. I use a little $25 ceramic heater whenever I need to do some work, takes about a half-hour to warm it up.

How do you insulate the door? My garage is finished and insulated, but the door is just a door. When it gets below the 30s outside (about as cold as it gets here, ever) the garage can get below a temp where I'd want to work out there. Insulating the door would probably help, but I've never had a garage door before 3 years ago, so didn't even know you could do that!

My garage door is steel insulated construction. I guess you could put some of the board style insulation on if yours is wood.

I have mine insulated but not drywalled yet. Still gets pretty cold. So january and February are out for working on the car here.

My neighbor has a ceiling mounted heater that runs on Natural gas in his garage to work on his truck.
He has a thermostat that keeps it at about 50 degrees all winter. The whole setup ran about $1200 installed.

G_29307G_SW_1.jpg

My doors came already insulated. I spent extra money on them, and it was worth it. The panels of the roll up door are thicker and metal on both sides. They are flat inside and have a raised panel look on the outside. I opted for no windows in the door.

I should have had the door opening go 11-12' instead of the 10' it is. I have already messed up both hoods on my two cars.

Mel

"RapidRabbit" said:
I have mine insulated but not drywalled yet. Still gets pretty cold. So january and February are out for working on the car here.

My neighbor has a ceiling mounted heater that runs on Natural gas in his garage to work on his truck.
He has a thermostat that keeps it at about 50 degrees all winter. The whole setup ran about $1200 installed.

G_29307G_SW_1.jpg

This is the ONLY way to heat a garage. Either on propane or gas. It was a royal PITA for me to install one but now I have clean, non toxic, dry, non smelly heat anytime I want it. I keep the shop 40* when not in there and 50-60 when working. I also spent close to a grand on insulation. Heating adds only about $50 to my winter heating bill.

The torpedo heaters stink and pump out moisture. You'll give yourself a headache so you'll have to open the door. What is the point of that? Infared heaters only heat objects, not the air. Woodstoves take too much maintenance and you can't leave them on when you are not in there (like overnight).

i used a combination of torpedo and a big window unit mounted in the wall.... i crank up the torpedo and wall at the same time and in a bout 8-10 mins the shop is around 70-72 and shut the torpedo down and stay comfortable for as long as i want

Mine's a 28x35. As part of the remodel after buying the house, I rewired (added several outlets and light fixtures, plus a 230 for my compressor), fully insulated, and sheetrocked the whole garage (it was cheap paneling with no insulation). It's like a big living room without carpet. It has a drywall ceiling which is also insulated.

I installed double-wall, insulated garage doors, too. I also plumbed a big, deep sink on one wall for cleaning up stuff (including myself).

On top of all of this, I had a "central" heat pump installed just for the garage. The air handling unit is in the attic and I have one intake and two outlets in the ceiling.

My main need is AC in the summer, as it gets unbearable. But, I can just as easily flip it over to heat if it gets really cold in the winter (which doesn't happen very often).

All of this seems expensive, but it's the cost of having a nice place to work on cars. I don't regret spending a dime of it. My car would have never been built if I hadn't invested in this facility. And, it wouldnt' have been completed in just two years, because I was able to work on the car every day. I don't love the hobby enough to be miserable while doing it.

Shawn,
Not trying to be arguementative but why couldnt you leave a wood stove running all night? I heated my house for years with wood and always ran the stove all night.

"RapidRabbit" said:
G_29307G_SW_1.jpg

I installed one of those two years ago, I have no idea why I didn't spend the $ before. It ran me about $550, doing the work myself (the heater was 299 IIRC).
http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=50&id=117
The 45,000 BTU unit heats my 26x30 garage from ~50 to 65 in no time, and holds it there easily. I'ts not well insulated (parts of the ceiling are not insulated, but the walls & door are). I could save some fuel insulating, but given how much of the time I run the heater, I doubt it would payback.

As I said, best thing I've done to make the garage livable. Bonus: now the wife doesn't mind if the little one is out there during the winter. Gotta start 'em earlly. This w/e I plan on more lights and paint (plain drywall now).

I installed a natural gas vent less wall unit in my 15 x 40 garage. It will get you working in shorts after about an hour of run time. I have an insulated steel door, and block foundation all the way around. It can cold here, in fact its been in the teens this week, and the garage stays nice. Its similar to this one:

6450.jpg

Back