• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How do you guys heat your garage?

Just an FYI, here in AZ those bottle exchange programs charge over double what it would cost to have them filled at the local gas station! Used to be hard to find a local gas station that had propane, but anymore, they are pretty common...might save you a little $$.

"ZFORCE" said:
Just an FYI, here in AZ those bottle exchange programs charge over double what it would cost to have them filled at the local gas station! Used to be hard to find a local gas station that had propane, but anymore, they are pretty common...might save you a little $$.

I get mine for the grill filled at BJ's Warehouse Club (like Costco) - $10.50 vs over over $22 for the exchange places.

I need to plumb the grill into the 100 gal tank for the house, though - that's ~$5 for 20 lbs.

I got started on the exchange because my bottles were old. The guys at the station wouldn't fill them. It costs me a bit over $14 for the exchange at Wal-Mart with SWMBO's discount.

I guess it would be cheaper to get it filled at a station, but then I would have to go farther into town fighting traffic, make an additional stop, wait for someone to help me at the local farm supply store or gas station and wait for them to actually fill the bottle and have them decide they can't fill it and then go inside and pay them. Takes an extra 45 min to an extra hour in town.

At the exchange, I pay for the bottle while checking out from groceries and meet the associate at the rack. Hand them my old bottles and they hand me the new one. Easy and with the price of fuel...oh, my time is worth something. Not much I know but something.

So I guess it is all what you like. I like simple and easy.

Mel

Well, I have 4 tanks that I use, so I'm saving about $50, and since it is for me, I won't charge my usual $200/hr. LOL!

I may have missed it but what size is your garage? If you have a smaller 2 car then one of those Big Maxxx heaters may be overkill. If you don't want to run gas and are good with wiring, you can run 220 to a corner of the garage and use a Dayton G73 like here: http://www.heater-home.com/product/G73.aspx

That is what I'm using in my 22x20 garage and it does just fine. Takes a few minutes to get everything to a comfortable level, but again I don't have an enormous heater to take up an entire garage corner.

"Mach1ne" said:
The $99 Home Depot convection heater worked just fine to heat my instulated 3 car garage.

39 outside and 60 inside. Almost got it too warm.

The only bad thing was the smell from burning the "new" off of the thing.

I figured a hour or two of use will take care of that.

Now just waiting for my propane tank that I stole off the grill to run out. Won't be outdoor grilling here in Kansas any time soon.

OK, I looked at one online today and was wondering, You are running it from the 5# tank from a BBQ, right? How does it work? The specs call for a 30-40# bottle.

Mel

"guruatbol" said:
OK, I looked at one online today and was wondering, You are running it from the 5# tank from a BBQ, right? How does it work? The specs call for a 30-40# bottle.

Mel

I used a 20# tank with my propane heater and it worked good. My son now has it and he uses a 40# tank and it works better.

Back