• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How has everybody prettied up there Engine Compartment?

I'm planning on converting from the mallory ignition in my 73 Mach 1 back to the original ignition that way I can have it running. So I was wondering how everybody has prettied up there Engine compartment, taken care of running wires. Made more room. Aluminum radiators with electric fans. Pretty colors everywhere, and the sort. Thank yall!

Wow, that really depends on the motor your running, with or without power steering, A/C and type of ignition, etc.

351 Cleveland, With power steering, with A/C and any type of igntion, im gonna be going back to points for a lil while till I can afford a 750 Dollar ICE Ignition though.

mine is not all that "pretty" or tidy but here is a pic anyway...
index.php

The computer is out of a 1990 IIRC but the rest of it is aftermarket. I also have a Vortech Supercharger on the front of the engine that makes it look a little different. Basically 88-93 Mustang stuff modified to work with old iron.

I added polished stainless steel hardware, and polished aluminum parts. Moved the Horn to under the driver's fender and covered the grill opening. Now I am removing or rerouting wires to simplify the engine bay.

ABEngine09.jpg

Next year:
Install Aluminum Radiator
Install Aluminum Transmission Cooler
Move the battery to the trunk

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need no stinkin' $750 ICE racing ignition. Just get a $50 Duraspark from autozone, $20 Chevy HEI, and $20 worth of wire and HEI connectors....volia, good electronic ignition.

Or throw in a set of points and condenser, lube the lobe on the dist, and set the gap with a piece of cereal box.

Mine isn't complete yet, but you can see where I'm going with it. I'm using that black tubing to run a bunch of wires together in hopes of cleaning up the look in the bay.

416_02_10_10_9_05_00.JPG

The battery is in the trunk so that opens that area up front for me.

"janschutz" said:
I added polished stainless steel hardware, and polished aluminum parts. Moved the Horn to under the driver's fender and covered the grill opening. Now I am removing or rerouting wires to simplify the engine bay.

ABEngine09.jpg

Next year:
Install Aluminum Radiator
Install Aluminum Transmission Cooler
Move the battery to the trunk

I like how you covered the grill opening. Maybe I should do that with mine. How do ya'll move the horns though?

"southern_boy" said:
I like how you covered the grill opening. Maybe I should do that with mine. How do ya'll move the horns though?

ABWreck014.jpg

I unwrapped the front harness to fish out the horn wire. Then I mounted them to the driver side front apron. After hooking up the horns, I re-wrapped the harness and reinstalled.

In november of 2008, after the local car show season was over, and winter in PA was approaching, i decided it was time for the original motor to come out, and make room for the newer, older 66 motor!

three.jpg

out.jpg

i think its safe to say that the engine compartment was in need of a refreshing.

out1.jpg

Next came the joys of redoing the engine compartment, first would be get rid of years of grease, grime, caulking, weather sealant, paint. At some point some one paint bombed the engine compartment, because i sand blasted it and discovered all the original stickers and labels, on the shock towers.

To begin sandblasting, i would have to build a tent in my garage to control the dust, sand, and debris Notice the tarp zipper purchased at home depot. I use it to make a door in the plastic tarp to seal it off when i went inside to blast.

tent.jpg

I began sand blasting:

blast.jpg

blast2.jpg

I repainted the engine bay also, PPG low gloss black.

bay.jpg

Since i am doing a restomod, all the hardware bolts, (hinges, bracketry, supports, fender bolts, shock tower bolts, will all be the same as this shock tower bolt:

sh1.jpg

ran some wires, and used blue loom on everything.

wiring2.jpg

Even used Goodyears, blue hoses, i think it would look good with the motor.

wiring3.jpg

new Export brace - Dropped right in, (everyone seems to complain about spreading the shock towers, and jacking the car up, i didn't have those problems). Monte Carlo bar to follow with chrome shock tower tops after suspension.

export.jpg

brace.jpg

[member]March – 09

Motors In.

DSC04675.jpg

DSC04668.jpg

DSC04679.jpg

new.jpg

When it was all said and done, it looked like this:

166_28_11_09_1_44_42_3.jpg

[/member]

"lethal289" said:
In november of 2008, after the local car show season was over, and winter in PA was approaching, i decided it was time for the original motor to come out, and make room for the newer, older 66 motor!

three.jpg

out.jpg

i think its safe to say that the engine compartment was in need of a refreshing.

out1.jpg

Next came the joys of redoing the engine compartment, first would be get rid of years of grease, grime, caulking, weather sealant, paint. At some point some one paint bombed the engine compartment, because i sand blasted it and discovered all the original stickers and labels, on the shock towers.

To begin sandblasting, i would have to build a tent in my garage to control the dust, sand, and debris Notice the tarp zipper purchased at home depot. I use it to make a door in the plastic tarp to seal it off when i went inside to blast.

tent.jpg

I began sand blasting:

blast.jpg

blast2.jpg

I repainted the engine bay also, PPG low gloss black.

bay.jpg

Since i am doing a restomod, all the hardware bolts, (hinges, bracketry, supports, fender bolts, shock tower bolts, will all be the same as this shock tower bolt:

sh1.jpg

ran some wires, and used blue loom on everything.

wiring2.jpg

Even used Goodyears, blue hoses, i think it would look good with the motor.

wiring3.jpg

new Export brace - Dropped right in, (everyone seems to complain about spreading the shock towers, and jacking the car up, i didn't have those problems). Monte Carlo bar to follow with chrome shock tower tops after suspension.

export.jpg

brace.jpg

[member]March – 09

Motors In.

DSC04675.jpg

DSC04668.jpg

DSC04679.jpg

new.jpg

When it was all said and done, it looked like this:

166_28_11_09_1_44_42_3.jpg

[/member]

Very nice. I like.

The best way to pretty up my Engine Compartment is to close the hood.

'Nuff Said.

southern_boy. Why don't you post some pics of your current engine bay? Maybe then we can make a couple suggestions.

Back