• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I'm having T5 issues still.....

"David67" said:
Well my new problem is that after I start driving the car, I am starting to get a knock at the shifter. Also I can feel a knocking sound on the transmission tunnel. The tranny does feel different but I am not sure. Seems like shifter really vibrates now.

I first thought it was the transmission mount but it's new, then I looked at the u joints and they are fine. So I check the engine maybe a bad harmonic balancer but it revs without a problem. Checked the ignition and everything looks good. Now then new problem is when it's knocking at idle in neutral it might shut off. It's dosen't have any crappy idle, stays perfectly at 800 rpms.

I am taking to the transmission shop tomorrow to see what they say. I hope it's just the tranny because I don't really want to tear into my motor. I have never seen or heard of this problem before so I really don't know were to go from here.

Any suggestions, hopefully you can understand my explanation.

Did you ever get this resolved? Now that I got my car driving, I have the same symptoms. I'll check the shifter, transmission clearance, and if that doesn't solve it, I'll yank the driveshaft and have the balance checked.

I'm curious to know what the issue was. I've never had any of the problems mentioned with my 67 and the T5. I do have a rough shift between 1/2 if you shift fast. It kind of feels like the syncros are bad.

Mel

I figured out the problem was mix of a bad distributor and carburetor out adjustment. I had to replace the intake gasket because I had an oil leak in the rear. So when I pulled the distributor it had a good amount of play in it. So I ended up replacing it with a new distributor and the vibration went away. The car acts really different now, it's a very rev happy motor. :ecit

Back