• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

In memory of John...

In memory today I drove the coupe to work. Then spent some time in the garage this afternoon working in the convertible installing my rear springs and rear end to make it a better roller to go to paint. I decided to wait until after paint to pull the rear end one more time to clean it up and paint it. Looks funny to see rear wheels again! It's been like 4 years!!

Well, I didn't get an opportunity to drive during the service today but I really wanted to be a part of the tribute to John so I decided to take a little cruise in the vert this evening for John. So, just as the sun has set on our friend John, I took a couple of pictures of him with the vert alongside the Atlantic Ocean at sunset. So here's to you friend and fellow mustanger. Godspeed.

24622184002_large.jpg

24622184001_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on giving him one last "fast" ride tomorrow at the track.

I just got back from the service, very nice. Big church, full of friends and family, lot's of Mustangs in the parking lot ( sorry, no photo's ) and lots of car guys at the service. They had guests take turns with the wireless mic saying a few things about John. A few tears and a lot of fun memories were shared.
After the service there was a get together downstairs in the church hall with goodies and a table full of photos. Who ever put that all together did a great job. He has a very nice family and a lot of great friends. Some of them don't even own a hot rod ! We all are gonna miss him a lot. I'm sure glad I went.

The header photo was the one used at the service, very cool. Below is the funeral program. This one is going on the ORP shop wall.

johnproservice.JPG

My afternoon started by watching my runaway Sebring with no brakes coast down the road. We had replaced the master cylinder it yesterday, and needed to move it out of the garage to get Gertrude in the garage. It was over 100 outside and needed garage shade for sure! After parking the Lexus off to the side, and me backing up Gertrude out of the way... woooosh went the Sebring down the sloped driveway. :ep Hubby was driving it, so he just coasted it in neutral for a few blocks until it stopped. Getting it back in the driveway was fun. :po

I laughed as I tinkered with Gertrude. When I tried starting her up, it sounded like someone went pedal to the metal and the only way to get it to stop was turn her off. Then I realized I moved the double throttle spring down lower. Put it back it the higher position and all was fine again. I eventually got Gertrude in the garage and then realized we don't own a saw which I need to cut the steel braided line to make it shorter so a quick trip to Lowes solved that problem. While I was out, I also picked up an attachment for hubbys drill to grind away rust, as well as rust prohibitor and primer. :)

I had it on the lower hole like in the pic that was posted and it caused the engine to sound like someone had their foot mashed on the gas pedal.
I put it back on the top hole like it was originally and no mashed gas pedal sound and sounded normal like when I got her.

I'll figure out that issue later. Right now I have another bolt & carb problem! :po

I haven't worked on the mustang in forever...but today, I went out and pulled most of the underdash harness out...still a couple wires hung up on something, and we had to go pick up my daughter so I didn't get everything done, but it felt good to get out in the garage, blast the stereo and work on the mustang, thinking about John the whole time. John and I weren't friends...I've traded very little conversation with him on the boards, but I always liked and CERTAINLY respected him. I don't do well with things like this, and generally don't have much to say that's very useful, so I just keep to myself, but I knew I had to get outside and work on the mustang again, and I really know we are all so much the poorer now that he won't be here to answer our questions and provide tips and encouragement.

"beach pony" said:
Well, I didn't get an opportunity to drive during the service today but I really wanted to be a part of the tribute to John so I decided to take a little cruise in the vert this evening for John. So, just as the sun has set on our friend John, I took a couple of pictures of him with the vert alongside the Atlantic Ocean at sunset. So here's to you friend and fellow mustanger. Godspeed.

24622184002_large.jpg

24622184001_large.jpg
Nice beach pics... I was just in Myrtle last week... loved it there :10

a saw which I need to cut the steel braided line to make it shorter

I'm fairly certain that you'll become quickly frustrated trying to use a saw to cut through steel braided line. The teeth of the saw snag on the individual pieces of braiding and it usually makes a mess. A cleaner method of cutting braided line is to use a high RPM cutting wheel.... such as your dremel tool.

I didn't get to drive the '66 yesterday for John, but when I got home from work, I went straight to the shop and started working on stuff to get ready to make the engine swap. I know I'll be in need of his advise when I actually start so you guys are going to have to pick up the slack!

Mark

Well I put over 300 miles on mine today....yep it went for a visit to see John off. Of course John played a trick on me. We stopped for dinner on the way home and as everyone else pulled away there my car did the cough and backfire...through the carb...then wouldn't start. Luckily Jeff, Frank and Craig saw me not moving and returned. It just needed a quick look see with hood up and aircleaner off and all was well again.
That John.....playing his tricks. :rp :lol

"KBMWRS" said:
Well I put over 300 miles on mine today....yep it went for a visit to see John off. Of course John played a trick on me. We stopped for dinner on the way home and as everyone else pulled away there my car did the cough and backfire...through the carb...then wouldn't start. Luckily Jeff, Frank and Craig saw me not moving and returned. It just needed a quick look see with hood up and aircleaner off and all was well again.
That John.....playing his tricks. :rp :lol

Hey, I came back. I was holding the air cleaner. :nk :lol

Gave John a final tribute by taking him with me on track yesterday, He sure is missed.

IMG_3252Large.jpg

Well since my car was on the sidelines during the Johnpro tribute and the fact that I had a house full of relatives that evening (didn't get to work on the car), I finally got the car back on the road this evening and made a tribute lap around the city in tribute of John.

Back