• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

installing the motor

When I stuffed the 429 in my 67 I didn't dare try to install it with the C6 bolted to it (weighs more than the car). I put the 429 in by myself and wrestled the C6 in there by myself too. It was a PITA without a lift. The C6 bell housing doesn't come off like the C4 and I had the car on stands. I had to jack up one side even more just to get the trans under the car. I've had the 429 in and out a few times and a 460 before that so I pretty much can do it it my sleep. It was much easier to put the engine in first then the trans. I do like the options mensioned to put those tiny little motors in though...
picture706fx9.jpg

picture119dv1.jpg

motorpc1.jpg

I have to chuckle at all the "over thinking" of this thread. She's dropping in a small block with a C4 into the car. She's not installing a modular motor with a Tremec! *LOL*

Don't jack up the car. Install them together. Helpers are nice, but I don't think I could count how many small blocks I've shoved into Mustangs by myself.

Installing a small block with C4 is very simple, and you won't need much adjustments anywhere. You never can tell when a slight adjustment WILL be needed, though. Sometimes that means moving the cherry picker, sometimes it's moving the car, and some times it means jacking up the FRONT of the car (yes, that's exactly what I had to do to get the 408 with TKO-600 and McCleod scatter shield in, as it wouldn't clear the drag link with it attached ... oh, I did it alone, too :naug).

I have 8 foot ceilings my garage, and they've never interfered with all the engines we've installed in this garage.

new_engine02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"johnpro" said:
I have to chuckle at all the "over thinking" of this thread. She's dropping in a small block with a C4 into the car. She's not installing a modular motor with a Tremec! *LOL*

:rofl Damn I missed you John. Good to have you on board :pbj

Cool photos!

I honestly hope I wasn't making a big deal out of a seemingly simple task that's been accomplished gazzillions of times! It's my first and I didn't have an engine to pull out(rolling chassis it was). I also feel that they're may be other folks out there asking questions that may have been afraid to ask, so this girl can ask without cause for embarressement~I surely don't mind asking~ that's what I have ya'll for! :bow Ya'll give me confidence!~

Meanwhile, in the Batgirl cave~~
Can't thank ya'll enough for the photos/info! boy, I can't imagine putting one of the larger engines in! :yikes I really like my little 289! "She's real fine my 289!" a new Beach Boys tune! I still haven't installed it yet! I just haven't been feeling very well these past few weeks, and messing with my stang just doesn't sound appealing right now, and not to mention as Hot as it is right now.

Actually, I wouldn't put it past myself to install it solo. Just go very slowly, have my cell phone handy. Besides, I'm pretty good at getting up and getting down! getting in my engine compartment and getting out of it(forgetting the correct tool/s most of the time!). So If I had to lower the motor an inch, the crawl beneath the stang, then lower another inch, etc.~ what's the big deal? :doh

The "other" reason I feel for jacking the rear end up, is to access the tranny crossmember to bolt it up. I don't think I could get beneath my stang without jacking it up! I don't know, maybe there is room~
hm, what's on TV?

:popOMG! have any more photos of your Chevy! I love that car!!! :pep

"lethal289" said:
Im a little late, but i support lifting the rear of the car. The higher you get it the easier it is, as long as you can get the engine hoist to move in ok. I used a four post to lift the back of my car until it just got close to the under carriage. Then the motor and tranny went in with no problems. I also had the motor mounts already fastened to the motor.

DSC04675.jpg

DSC04668.jpg

DSC04679.jpg

DSC04668.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
no its not mine, it belongs to a buddy that lives down the street from me, I used his 4 post lift to put my motor in. Thats nothing, if you look closely in the back, you can see a 55 Vette convertible. He has all the documentation. It was once owned and raced by Yenko.

Haven't given up!

Hi ya'll, I know it's been a while since I posted, but I've been a bit busy with "other" things.
Not that I'm a wimp or anything like that, but my AC went out in my garage and it's difficult to get motivated in this HEAT to work on my stang, or anything in the garage!
I got my hubby to help me remove my hood last night, and so the motor is just sitting there on the hoist, waiting! My brother said he would come over to help me whenever I'm ready. That's about it, just wanted to touch base with ya'll!
dne'

IMG_8184.jpg

Re: Haven't given up!

"Sportbikechick" said:
it's difficult to get motivated in this HEAT to work on my stang, or anything in the garage!

I second that!

I have been having some real motivational problems in getting a couple of projects done on my Stang as well. It felt like late August when it was only June this year. The bad part is it never seems to get cooler in the evenings either.

I was out in the garage working on something from about 10 p.m. to 11:15 p.m. a couple of weeks ago and looked like I had been swimming in my clothes when I got done.

However, I guess it depends on the day. Last Saturday night I ran the Stang over to a local "street meet" and it wasn't too bad hanging around talking cars with a few guys I know on that particular evening.

"RustyRed" said:
I second that!

I have been having some real motivational problems in getting a couple of projects done on my Stang as well. It felt like late August when it was only June this year. The bad part is it never seems to get cooler in the evenings either.

I was out in the garage working on something from about 10 p.m. to 11:15 p.m. a couple of weeks ago and looked like I had been swimming in my clothes when I got done.

However, I guess it depends on the day. Last Saturday night I ran the Stang over to a local "street meet" and it wasn't too bad hanging around talking cars with a few guys I know on that particular evening.

Which one was local? I was at otto's with the Mach for about 45 minutes.

"Sluggo" said:
Which one was local? I was at otto's with the Mach for about 45 minutes.

Classic Pizza at Research Forest and Six Pines.

Not sure what part of the Houston area you are in but my guess is that I am North of you.

"RustyRed" said:
Classic Pizza at Research Forest and Six Pines.

Not sure what part of the Houston area you are in but my guess is that I am North of you.

I'm southwest. Sugarland/Richmond area.

"RustyRed" said:
I am in The Woodlands / Spring area...that puts me a lot north of you. Maybe an hour or so? Not sure.

About an hour.......on Sunday at 3AM at 80mph :rofl

Back