• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Intake gasket question

Dne'

I had a little time this afternoon to install my heads on my 289 and the new head bolts are really neat, a much smaller head to put my 1/2" socket on. However, I was ambitious so I thought i'd go ahead and put my intake on too, but the holes in the new intake gaskets don't match up to where the water ports are, they're just too large n long despite the Felpro gaskets being made for a 289, the holes line up for the intake holes.

The other question; my new carburetor has an electronic choke, do I need the gasket that allows exhaust gas to pass through the intake manifold?

I bought the head, intake gaskets, headbolts from Summit, not that it makes any difference where I bought them from.
I'll go to Oreilly's tomorrow to get new intake gaskets, just need to know which ones to buy.
thanks!
dne'

Unless you live in the snow belt (you don't), there's no need for the heat cross over. Block it off.

Just use a good Felpro gasket, with the block offs.

Is the regular gasket ok?

I went to O'reilly's to see about an intake gasket, but the Felpro intake gasket they have, has the opening for the exhaust crossover. I went to NAPA and they only showed the same. So, I bought the regular one with the exhaust crossover holes open. I guess I could call Competition sales tomorrow and see if they have the one I want.
But, does it matter, and what is the advantage, disadvantage for the exhaust crossover hole being there or not? Does the heat going through the intake affect the running of the motor?
just learning~

Basically all it does is fool the choke into thinking the engine is warmed up sooner than it really is. (and make the carb hot) I'd block it off and forget about it.

Is there a Competition Sales in town still?

It's always so nice to see you respond to my questions! I just have this admiration for you! ok ok ok
Yes, there is a Competion sales on I-45 near Gulfbank I think, unless it closed since I'd been there. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they have to say!
Thanks!

"Sluggo" said:
Basically all it does is fool the choke into thinking the engine is warmed up sooner than it really is. (and make the carb hot) I'd block it off and forget about it.

Is there a Competition Sales in town still?

The heat cross over doesn't really "fool" anything, it warms the floor of the intake manifold up to help the fuel stay atomized and keep it from puddling on the floor of the manifold. I would guess you don't need one in Texas though. Try a FelPro performance gasket set. They come with two styles of gaskets for the cross over passage. One set is open and the other is blocked.

That sounds logical!

aha! I'll look into that tomorrow!! Thank you!!!

"1109RWHP" said:
The heat cross over doesn't really "fool" anything, it warms the floor of the intake manifold up to help the fuel stay atomized and keep it from puddling on the floor of the manifold. I would guess you don't need one in Texas though. Try a FelPro performance gasket set. They come with two styles of gaskets for the cross over passage. One set is open and the other is blocked.

Just order one from Summit Racing. It will be on your doorstep in a day or 2. It's not worth jerking around with cheap ones from auto parts stores.

I only run the fel-pro 1250 gasket. never had a problem with one leaking.

+1 for ordering from Summit.

Block it off as mentioned. The gasket set probably has the blockoff inserts in it. Also, the larger water holes on the gasket vs. the intake/head ports is a common thing.

Summit saves the day!

I called Competition sales today of out of desperation, and I just couldn't get the guy to understand what I was trying to get, but he said whatever it is, it would have to be ordered! So, I called Summit and explained the deal about the gasket set I bought from them in the first place~ the nice guy on the phone said the correct one will be in the mail ASAP and some RTV! no charge! I was just kind of anxious to get the intake on as quickly as I could, but what's a few more days! Summit folk are very nice!

I did bolt up the hedders today, and put in the railrockerarms and did a preliminary adjustment. Starting to look like a motor again! lol
As always, I appreciate the Stangfixing gang here!
dne'

And you must be very nice too if you are paying for all these gaskets. After all, wasn't it your engine builders fault all this is taking place?

What is the problem with these gaskets!

I can recognize the sound of my UPS delivery guy from any room in my home! I was excited to see my box containing my new intake gasket. But, it was worse than the first set of intake gaskets from Summit.

Obviously the blue good fitting gasket is a felpro from O'reilly's and has the crossover that goes through the intake, of which I was trying to do away with.
The black Felpro from Summit, look at how the holes are, especially where the water passage is~ there's no way this is going to seal, it will leak water~!! Both gaskets from Summit have the same type of fitment. It says right on the package for a 289, and "other" Ford motors that apply.

I guess I'll just be content with the regular intake gasket from my local autoparts. And yes, my motorman, I just hope I can get this thing running without anymore wasted time, money and stress!!

IMG_8992.jpg

IMG_8993.jpg

I think the one in the top picture looks better.

edit: but I guess that's what you said, huh? They both look blue to me.

Frank

theyre both blue ; )

oops! lol ok, these are both blue, but the top one is baby blue? lol But the one's that I didn't take a photo of are black.

"crustycurmudgeon" said:
I think the one in the top picture looks better.

edit: but I guess that's what you said, huh? They both look blue to me.

Frank

Just another learning lesson

If I had just paid attention 66gt350~ I would have the correct gasket now! doah! I just wonder why the Summit guys didn't catch on to the gasket I was seeking. Doesn't matter, the gasket is ordered.
thanks! another learning lesson~ argh!
dne'

"66gt350" said:
I only run the fel-pro 1250 gasket. never had a problem with one leaking.

+1 for ordering from Summit.

The freebee ones they gave you are the universal "one size fits nothing" gaskets made out of an old pizza box painted black.

Back