• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Interesting thread I found on TKO's

Starfury

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1156419

I had originally wanted to go with a TKO 600 behind my 331, but after reading that, I'm a little skeptical. I want to turn my car into something I can open track without any problems, but that doesn't make me very confident. I'm almost wondering if it wouldn't be better to go with a beefed up T5 or even a T56, although the latter could prove to be much more expensive.

"Starfury" said:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1156419

I had originally wanted to go with a TKO 600 behind my 331, but after reading that, I'm a little skeptical. I want to turn my car into something I can open track without any problems, but that doesn't make me very confident. I'm almost wondering if it wouldn't be better to go with a beefed up T5 or even a T56, although the latter could prove to be much more expensive.
I have broken a few T5's in my day... that was behind a mild small block. I didn't race it but it was my DD so it saw a lot of time on the road. Maybe if you had two T5's, one always ready to swap in???

Hehe. I'm not doing it soon, but when I get to it, I don't want to have to do it twice. It'll probably pull double duty as a driver and open track car when I'm finished with it, so I want something that will last. Astroperformance has 450ft-lb rated T5 kit that may do the trick, but I'm skeptical about their power ratings. They don't say anything about using different input/output shafts, which I've heard are the main weaknesses on T5's.

I can say that I love the T56 in my car. It shifts smoothly and it is great having your choice of which overdrive you want to use. 5th gear is great for going 55-65 and 6th if you are going faster than that.

"joesgt281" said:
Well this is really making me re-think a TKO for my 67.

Is there a tranny that's universally accepted as terrific for road racing at 425 lb-ft plus?
I did some digging today at work and found a couple options:

1) AstroPerformance's T5. As I said, not sure on the actual ability to handle torque vs their claims, but if they can hold 450ft-lbs, that should be just fine.

2) American Powertrain also offers 400, 500, and 600hp T5 builds. No idea what they do to make them stronger.

3) American Powertrain offers a T56 conversion setup for classic Mustangs. No idea of price, but you can get them rated anywhere from 425 to 1000hp. Having driven my roommate's (now totalled) '97 WS6 T/A with a T56 and Pro 5.0 shifter, I can tell you that it shifts very smooth. I just don't know what I'd do with a 6th gear. The only real reason 6th was useful on the T/A was because it could stick to the road at 140mph. My car can't. Unless I could space 1-5 really close and use really short rear gears, I just don't think I'd touch 6th.

"Starfury" said:
I just don't know what I'd do with a 6th gear. The only real reason 6th was useful on the T/A was because it could stick to the road at 140mph. My car can't. Unless I could space 1-5 really close and use really short rear gears, I just don't think I'd touch 6th.

Run 4.11 or lower gears...then use 6th gear.

I have a T5 with G-Force internals to run behind the 408W I'm building. I'm not concerned, especially on radials. The 26 spline input shaft and the beefier gears hopefully create a pretty robust tranny. I didn't get it, but you can also option a 9310 steel mainshaft.
http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

The problem with 4.11 (or shorter) rear gears and a 2.95 first is that first is just about useless. Why have 6 gears at that point?

I was originally planning on a TKO 600 (2.95 first, 0.64 OD) and 3.73 or 3.91 rear gears. First would still be useful and fifth would keep me at a decent rpm on the freeway.

"Starfury" said:
The problem with 4.11 (or shorter) rear gears and a 2.95 first is that first is just about useless. Why have 6 gears at that point?

My DD for a decade was a fox body with a 3.35 1st T5, 4.10s out back, and a S-trim blown 302. 1st gear was short, but totally usable.

On the other end of the spectrum, my GTO has a M-21 close ratio with a 2.20 1st gear with 3.90s out back, and it sucks, even with the torque of the 400. It really needs 4.33s for that 2.20 1st to be acceptable.

"Starfury" said:
3) American Powertrain offers a T56 conversion setup for classic Mustangs. No idea of price, but you can get them rated anywhere from 425 to 1000hp.

I'm sure the T56 is a bit more, but I have a quote from AP for a TKO 500 conversion and it's about $4500.
It looks to be very very complete.
It also includes about a $400 adder for a hydraulic throwout bearing setup.
But other than positioning the shifter to fit our consoles, and trimming the top for tunnel clearance, I think they are stock trannys (ie, still prone to shifiting issues).
The same kit from Keisler Engineering is about the same price.

I'm hearing good things about D&Ds T56 Magnum, but you're starting with just the tranny, not a kit. Price is around $2800.
http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=185cPath=107_124

I installed a TKO600 kit from DarkHorse Performance into my sons '68FB behind a built 351W w/Edelbrock RPM top end.

He dogs the heck out of the car.... shifting at RPM's a LOT higher than I ever would.... and we've had not one problem.

Any mods to the tunnel Dave?

The mini tower on TKO500/600's is typically just a hair off towards the passenger side of the tunnels shifter opening. I didn't have to, but to prevent the rubber dust boot on the mini-tower from getting pinched with the side of the opening I trimmed about 1/4" of the sheet metal off.

"daveSanborn" said:
Dark Horse is a pretty small outfit that is owned operated by Fred and his wife Linda. Fred is much more of a car guy than a website designer. His old website was barely useable and he probably dissolved it.

His contact info is within the below link....

http://www.stangnet.com/tech/t5swap.html
DHP always stuck me as being pretty good at their shit. I've always had a theory that the better the web designer for a company liker that, the worse the company, unless they were big-time. Not that Keisler would be a good example lol. That guy is such a douchebag.

"gotstang" said:
Not that Keisler would be a good example lol. That guy is such a douchebag.

That's not the first time i've heard this on this quest.
What's the story on him?

How high is 'high,' Dave? (and no, not that kind of high) I'd like to be able to shift at 6200 and not have to worry about things getting FUBAR'd.

I'm kinda leaning more towards a T56 now. The gear spacing for 1-4 is much closer than I thought, which is basically what I'm shooting for. I could run 4.11's and be fine on the street (or the track), and 5th and 6th would allow me to cruise on the freeway all day.

T56 will take some tunnel mods I believe. Stole this picture from the CLASSIC DESIGN CONCEPTS website, they build that flashback Mustang from Dynacorn shells

gallery

gallery

"joesgt281" said:
That's not the first time i've heard this on this quest.
What's the story on him?

Their standard sales schtick is classic "bad used car salesman" type crap and God help you if you make a negative comment about them on the internet or gene will show up to argue and their sales tactics get even more extreme. Oh, and they have absolutely no compunction about lying. For example, their "super duper, specially machined for a direct fit" TKO500 is bog-standard as far as I've been able to tell. Apparently, according to ole gene, I'm an ignorant bully who has never laid eyes on their stuff, and Sanborn ain't much better. Too bad he's wrong.

Back