• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Interesting thread I found on TKO's

"cmayna" said:
I'm kinda worrying about using the T5z behind the cleveland in Shag and wonder if I should go with a TKO600. We all know that I'm way too old to ever think of rodding the car to the point that I might blow the tranny, but am I being niave? I"m starting out with 3.55 gears in back.

Just don't know what do to.

I don't know the power level you're running the Clev up to but I think it's all in how you use it.
If you're not running slicks or power shifting, I'd say you'll probably be okay.
Lord knows there's a bunch of them out there behind buildt 5.0s.

I'm jumping in this a little late but as Dave said earlier I was able to put the T56 in my car without touching the tunnel. Trimming around the shifter opening but that was only minor and a result of my steeda shifter. My T56 has a mechanical speedo but You have to buy it new to get that option. The Cobra tranny is a cheaper option but you obviously have to address the speedo issue there. As I mentioned earlier in the thread the T56 gives you the best of both worlds. Two overdrive gears and I find that first gear is much more useable than the T5 I took out of my car. I can actually get all the way through the intersection before shifting.

Hey Darrell, I'm about to pull the trigger on my manny tranny project and I've about decided on the T56 Magnum package from American Powertrain.

Did you get yours as a package from somebody?
And did you end up going mechanical or hydraulic on the actuation?
Are you running the stock console, and if you are, did the shifter come up in the right spot?

Please tell me more about the electronic to mechanical speedo conversion box.

Where can I get one and how much do they cost?

My mechanical drive gear in my TKO600 got wiped out by a bad repro speedo cable that stuck the driven gear.

The electronic to mechanical conversion box might be the path of least resistance to pulling the TKO and fixing it.

Ughh....those TKO's are heavy MF's. At least as a heavy as a toploader.

I know of two converter boxes. The http://www.abbott-tach.com/Cable%20X.html and the http://www.terf.com/SpeedChangerMechanicalPage.htm

I've read that the Cable-X box is somewhat noisey and is not weatherproof, so it must be installed inside or have an enclosure made for it. I have not read anyone using the Terf module, mainly because I think it's fairly new. Let us know what you go with and how you like it. The Terf module is much cheaper than the Cable X.

That is interesting stuff.

The CableX is about $350
The Terf doesn't mention a price.

Maybe it is cheaper just to pull my TKO and fix it :)

Thanks.

If you click the "Order Product" near the bottom of the Terf page, it will bring up the price list. The Speedchanger Mechanical is $130

Well I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered up a T56 Magnum kit from American Powertrain :$$$
We'll see just how thoroughly they've designed this thing.
About the only thing I should need is a 4-speed plate for my console.

$130 is very reasonable.

I sent them an email asking them to confirm their product will work with a TKO and the stock speedometer.

"pprince" said:
$130 is very reasonable.

I sent them an email asking them to confirm their product will work with a TKO and the stock speedometer.

This may be the route I take when I do my T56 conversion. Let me know what you find out and if you are pleased with the product (assuming you buy it)

"joesgt281" said:
Hey Darrell, I'm about to pull the trigger on my manny tranny project and I've about decided on the T56 Magnum package from American Powertrain.

Did you get yours as a package from somebody?
And did you end up going mechanical or hydraulic on the actuation?
Are you running the stock console, and if you are, did the shifter come up in the right spot?
Sorry I did not see this earlier.

I pieced together my own kit. I used RM motor mounts and made my own crossmember. I was lucky enough to get a hydraulic clutch from JMC when I had a T5 in the car. I called them last year (days before they went out of business) and got a bracket for the T56.

I made my own console but the shifter came up through the hole in a good spot. I had to trim a little from the front of the tunnel but that was mostly because of the Steeda shifter I put in. Other than that it was a pretty easy swap.

I finally installed the CableX box and it works great. According to my GPS it is accurate. It is also smooth and quiet.

Back