• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Kats Project

"Kats66Pny" said:
After looking at my old water pump, I've decided to just go ahead and buy a new one. Only $20 for a new one.

Looks like the one port was just sealed off and wasn't used for anything. :shrug You can see the black hose. Seems I cut it off when I removed it. I'm replacing any hoses so wasn't worried about saving it.

WaterPump.jpg

The hose on the left is the heater hose. I suspect the PO had is blocked as well as the other heater hose that you do not show. Is the bypass hose $20,00? If you do put the heater hose back on (what Dne' said) make sure the heater core is okay.

I believe on your waterpump, both of those hoses would have gone to your heater core. One is the supply hose and the other is the return back to the waterpump. You can make a by-pass by just taking a short length of hose and connecting those to spickets together, at least until you get an AC system(which would include a heater core). Cooler days are on its way! :yah

You'll want that heater core to help defog the windshield on muggy days.

"Dne'" said:
I believe on your waterpump, both of those hoses would have gone to your heater core. One is the supply hose and the other is the return back to the waterpump. You can make a by-pass by just taking a short length of hose and connecting those to spickets together, at least until you get an AC system(which would include a heater core). Cooler days are on its way! :yah

Dne' on my 65 & 66 the right one is the bypass hose. Only one heater hose connects to the water pump. The other heater hose connects to the intake.

"Dne'" said:

I hate to disagree with you Dne', but the heater core should be fed by the fitting on the intake manifold (front ps). The fitting on Kats wp with the short piece of black hose on it goes to the bypass fitting on the tstat housing and the other wp fitting gets the return from the heater core (when she gets a heater core that is!) She can still bypass the core from the manifold fitting to the wp fitting shown on the left in her pic. kip

Edit; like Jim said! I type slow!

oh yeah, I knew that :roll !

"TB350" said:
I hate to disagree with you Dne', but the heater core should be fed by the fitting on the intake manifold (front ps). The fitting on Kats wp with the short piece of black hose on it goes to the bypass fitting on the tstat housing and the other wp fitting gets the return from the heater core (when she gets a heater core that is!) She can still bypass the core from the manifold fitting to the wp fitting shown on the left in her pic. kip

Edit; like Jim said! I type slow!

Well Saturdays progress... got the engine and trans put back in. Need to hook up all the wiring, redo lines from the trans to the trans cooler, get the radiator and hoses in there... umm oh and put the headers in. Eventually it has to go get aligned. Look at those wheels!! :hide Those are the temporary donuts I borrowed from a club member. So close to hearing it start I could scream! :yah

img4963u.jpg

img4962w.jpg

img4961k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Midlife" said:
I'd ditch those yellow spark plug wires...

I am. I'm going to go blue or black eventually. I also need to get some of that split loom wire covers to cover up the ugly wiring. It'll be one of those weekend projects after I get it back up and running.

Yup, it's a nice feeling to actually put stuff back together instead of taking things off! :thu You know that I think CarFax commercial? that has a car signing "Party like a rockstar.... party like a rockstar..."... I keep thinking Gertrude is singing that right now because she almost has a heartbeat again. LOL

Got the radiator, overflow tank, and hoses on now. Now I'm at a loss on some of the electrical wiring which I'm going to make a separate post on that.

IMG_4968.jpg

IMG_4969.jpg

After a LOT of headache, got a mock up of the cooler lines hooked up. I suppose to did it right. :shrug It's not all 100% tightened down. Didn't want to do that until I know for sure I did it right.

That damn 90* adapter was a pain to find. Luckily Doug came to the rescue and found some at Napa. :thu
TCline1.jpg

This one wasn't so bad to get it once I got the right angle curve in the line.
TCline2.jpg

Tried to bend them so they wouldn't touch the centerlink or rub on it.
TCline3.jpg

I forgot to remove one of the threaded things.. oops lol It'll be removed. The lines look like they hang down but they don't. They will get pulled up when I permanently attach the cooler to the radiator.
TCline4.jpg

TCline5.jpg

Not to be negative but not at all a fan of how you have your lines run. How and where do you plan on adding fixed mounts other than the trans and cooler? You aren't intending to leave them loose...are you? It's hard enough to keep a connection of a hard line to a hose from leaking/seeping even when the lines are mounted firmly. If they can "bounce" it's not if but when the leaking starts. If it were me (and I know it's not), I would do it "right" and run a solid line from point to point and route it along the frame rail where it can be firmly attached and has less chance of being damaged by road debris, etc.
If necessary, you could put a junction connection for the hard lines on the radiator support or frame rail, I suppose.

Just an opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Back