• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Kats Project

Aren't you done with this project yet? It should be painted by now and interior going back in...

*G*

It says Hood Hinge.. not things. lol and it has (4) Bolts & Washers L + R on it and a note on the back saying the bolts connect the hinge to the hood.

Bite me Midlife. :nut

"Kats66Pny" said:
It says Hood Hinge.. not things. lol and it has (4) Bolts & Washers L + R on it and a note on the back saying the bolts connect the hinge to the hood.

I know....had to give you a hard time....lol

"Kats66Pny" said:

Do I get to choose where I can nibble?

Fun Saturday! :hide Started taking apart the front. Had my husband help and we removed the windshield. Surprisingly the window came out in one piece even though it had some major cracks. Did find some ugly rust around the window area.

683-220111171551-71682292.jpeg

Lower LH side rust holes.
683-220111171553-7173595.jpeg

Top RH side rust holes.
683-220111171556-71742192.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have way more than 2! lol Besides those holes, the windshield had lots of cracks.

The one on the lower LH side I'm not worried about because it looks to be part of the cowl assembly which I'm going to be replacing with a new one. Its the one on the top RH side that is going to be a pain to fix.

Kate ,

When you're planning to remove the cowl , do mark the position of the cowl very accurately because later on , it determens how he front fenders/hood/ doors aligns.Trust me !!

Just drill two little holes ( left and right ) in the lower windshield opening lip .Later on you can put a dowel into these holes to align the cowl when putting it back together.

When you want to put a new cowl on it , mark the outer visible edge of the old cowl before removing and take thispoint to install you new one.
Hope you understand that louzy english from me.

I know they make the one piece cowl for the 67-68 but I will check and see if they do for the 65-66. If they do that is the best way to do the repair, it will cut your welding time in half. I would bet the bottom half is rusted. Rich.

When you're planning to remove the cowl , do mark the position of the cowl very accurately because later on , it determens how he front fenders/hood/ doors aligns.Trust me !!
Just drill two little holes ( left and right ) in the lower windshield opening lip .Later on you can put a dowel into these holes to align the cowl when putting it back together.
When you want to put a new cowl on it , mark the outer visible edge of the old cowl before removing and take thispoint to install you new one.

:shrug LOL I think I understand, but I learn best by visual explaination... pictures.

I know they make the one piece cowl for the 67-68 but I will check and see if they do for the 65-66. If they do that is the best way to do the repair, it will cut your welding time in half. I would bet the bottom half is rusted. Rich.

Yes, they make the whole cowl assembly for '66 which is what I'm trying to save up for. The bottom cowl is severely rusted out. I can look under the dash and see nothing but rust and holes. You can actually pull pieces of rusted metal off.
The top piece has some rust holes as well. I was taking a BFH and a flat head screwdriver yesterday and chipping away lots of bondo that is on the cowl. Yuck!

BFH Time!!

Check out that bondo! :hide It was ALL over the cowl.
683-230111112240-7175203.jpeg

683-230111112243-71762130.jpeg

683-230111112245-71771346.jpeg

Probably not the best way to remove the cowl but damn it was fun taking that BFH and beating the tar out it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kate !! take your measurements !!! or its gonna backfire when aligning hood/doors/fenders :char

The current crappy cowl is misaligned and the entire thing is covered in bondo, some places 1/4" -1/2" thick on the cowl.
If I did any measuring, I doubt it would do any good especially since the more I start looking and taking everything off, the more rust and stuff I'm finding which means more repro parts that I'll probably have to buy. :shrug

The basic cowl has to be close and with no measurements, plus more repro parts, the task will become more and more difficult.

The more repo parts you use, the more trial fit required before final welding also.

No repo part is expected to fit perfect.....measurements are critical.......but then, we will be around to guide you.

What exactly is there to measure before I take out this rusted cowl?

I'm replacing the whole thing with this
DC-3648G.jpg

I figure when get the whole cowl, it's going to need to be fitted and tweaked to fit...so will the repro fenders I'm getting.

This piece on the RH side needs replaced too. The cowl side panel.
M133RH.jpg

Nice work and nice replacement pieces, but you need a starting point. Measure what you have just to be sure!

You will at least have a starting place.

Mel

Before you weld the complete cowl. secure it with some clamps and put on the fenders and hood.
Secure all those parts so you can see how the parts align to each other.
At this stage you can shift the cowl so the space between the cowl and fenders are equal.
( the fenders should be aligned with the doors before you shift the cowl to its place.)
my 0.02 oinion.

Before you weld the complete cowl. secure it with some clamps and put on the fenders and hood.
I would use self tapping sheet metal screws... take up less room during "test" assemblies and the holes can be welded closed

Didn't go that route when I put my cowl back together tho. Must have gotten lucky 'cause my fenders and hood line up great! But... I also had some really good original pieces that I was able to salvage off another car, so maybe the alignment problems are related to repoops?

I did use sheet metal screws when I did the floors and trunk/shackle mount repair.

Back