• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Kevin Marti report helped find original "Bullitt"??

flysure100

The car was reportedly in Mexico--might be tough to toss it over the wall!--should be worth a fortune when restored!!!!--article on msn news page

So this is reputed to be the last survivor car of the 3 that the film crew used in the movie and it's in Mexico? Probably was parked on the street in L.A. and disappeared one night. I'd go to the thread on VMF to find out more but I CAN'T GET ON THERE ANYMORE. Was it something I said?

The ConcoursMustang forum people see a major flaw in the car that lead them to believe it is a fake. They are being very cagey about what the flaws are, to avoid having a better fake in the future.

The new fake is coming across the border in pieces through the underground tunnels as we speak! Remember when we only had to watch them when they did a tuck and roll upholstery job on your car?

ALL BS.....the original has been documented to be in a barn in KY.

Check Wofgang Kohrn's Bullitt website. He has dedicated himself to all things Bullitt. I have been in contact with him many times.
http://www.ponysite.de/bullitt.htm

As of 2010 the car is still in the hands of its third owner. It had been stored for a long time in a barn in Kentucky, where a "spy" spotted it and took photographs which are in the hands of David Kunz, but they are not published for obvious reasons and in respect for the owners and and the "spys" family.

Mike, thanks for getting the spelling right with two "t"s. Years ago, when I owned a vinyl sign shop, I had a kid come in who was in a big hurry to get a banner made for the top of his windshield before he had to return to classes at UCLA. The car was a brand new first year of the Ford introduction of the Bullitt model that Dada had bought for him and the kid wanted to be sure that we were going to spell Bullitt correctly. I said "Yeah, like the movie" and he looked back at me with vacuous eyes. I said "You know, the movie with Steve McQueen?" and he replied "Who is Steve McQueen?" He got his car on time and properly spelled in white Broadway font.

Same here...son's girlfriend went with him to Knotts last year. We all went to the Petersen and there was a full size Lightning McQueen. My son had to tell her WHY it had that name. Its sad no one studies history for we will repeat it.

ALL BS.....the original has been documented to be in a barn in KY.

Check Wofgang Kohrn's Bullitt website. He has dedicated himself to all things Bullitt. I have been in contact with him many times.
http://www.ponysite.de/bullitt.htm

As of 2010 the car is still in the hands of its third owner. It had been stored for a long time in a barn in Kentucky, where a "spy" spotted it and took photographs which are in the hands of David Kunz, but they are not published for obvious reasons and in respect for the owners and and the "spys" family.
Mike have you been back to the bullitt site lately? Under the latest news link Kevin Marti verified that it was one of the bullitt cars. It's not the hero car but the stunt car. The new owner Jim is a big mustang guy. He's been buying selling mustangs and parts forever. Always saw him around shows and swap meets in SoCal.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Many years ago when Letterman Hospital in S.F. had just shut down, a local oldies station held a rally of Mustangs in the parking lot of the facility. There were literally hundreds of Mustangs there and one Dodge Charger. I took my son's '69 SportsRoof. About half way through the event the black Charger lead off with a replica of the Bullitt fastback behind it and they lead the entire group of Mustangs assembled there around the city on many parts of the movie's chase. When we went up several of the boulevards people were stopped on the sidewalk like it was a parade and they were applauding. That was twenty years ago. I doubt that we could do something like that today. BTW, at the end of the cruise all the Mustangs and the Charger returned to the Letterman parking lot and the radio station broadcast the phone call to give the Bullitt replica to a listener. The guy who won was clearly an ESL type and had no idea what significance the car had except that it was worth something. I didn't realize it at the time, but that was a peek into the future.

Some years back the Bullitt forum (yes there is a forum dedicated to the movie/car) had their annual rally in SF. I did some rocon work for them taking pics of the chase route and mapping where it all was. Well their car show was at a South SF Ford dealer. There were only 3 or 4 second Gen Mustangs there. Dave Kunz was there with his of course and some other guy who had his jacked up so high it looked like a 4wd. They also had a McQueen look alike. The same guy Ford used in their '05 commercial. He was almost a ringer for McQ and wore the same jacket/turtle neck/ slacks and shoes as Bullitt. Well he asked to drive the Mustang and so he took off. Everyone thought he was going to drive up and down past the dealer so all could get a photo.
Well he drove it alright. Didn't come back for 1/2 hour. Now imagine seeing him and that car driving around SF with no other cars or parade around.

Back