• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

kind of sick to my stomach

Leave it to a StangFix member to develop a tool that can suck and blow at the same time..... :craz

I replied to your E-mail. Give me a call if you need any answers. I only replaced the skin. I left the structure in place. I think the replacemen only cost me about 150.

That's a cool gadget! Dang, I really need an air compressor. You're giving me idea's how to sandblast area's on Gertrude in my little garage now. :vic

No matter how air tight such a system seems, I'd still wear a mask when using it. No reason to breath in any hidden media particles floating around.

safety is a must

I wear a respirator, eye protection and even hearing protection! the noise irritates my tinnitus!

"cmayna" said:
No matter how air tight such a system seems, I'd still wear a mask when using it. No reason to breath in any hidden media particles floating around.

Kat and compressors

Kat, you definitely eventually want to invest in a good compressor! Don't get too cheap a compressor! I have a Sears professional 2 stage, 175psi(never need that much) and it's extraordinarily quiet! my brother has the lesser expensive sears and it will drive you nuts! of course then you have to start buying air tools and spray guns! OMG, it never stops!!

"Kats66Pny" said:
That's a cool gadget! Dang, I really need an air compressor. You're giving me idea's how to sandblast area's on Gertrude in my little garage now. :vic

Finished sandblasting!

I'd rather had installed a floor pan than to sandblast this entire roof! However, I'm satisfied, I have a little more touchup to do! The shopvac and compressor need a break anyway! I need something to really clean the metal! any suggestions?
before:
IMG_9111.jpg

After
IMG_9151.jpg

Sunroof? the patch was from an experiement with phosphoric acid. I place a paper towel down(on that spot you're referring to), then saturated it with phosphoric acid, covered it with plastic and let it set overnight~ it kind of left that shape on the roof. It's not messed up anymore than the roof already is. Phosphoric acid really works well on lighter rust, but not the pitted stuff. I did find that using phosphoric acid and using, say, 80grit sandpaper, the rust really starts to breakup! Yesterday I bought some metal wash and metal conditioner and should be doing that next week followed by a couple coats of epoxy primer, then finish some roof bodywork. If I can get a couple years out of this, I"ll be ok with that! I'll always be looking for a rolling chassis with completed paint and body that I can put all of my present car parts into.

"other rust"

Silly! lol Below are a before n after of the sill plate below my rear glass. I don't know what I was thinking when I painted this stang! This was accomplished with phosphoric acid and combination of using sandpaper to really get at the rusty surface.

IMG_9143.jpg

IMG_9150.jpg

making some progress!

After a lot of hard work, my roof is starting to look much better! If it'll just last a few years! All I could think of is what Dave S said, "replace the roof"! The car is pretty much back in primer and I should hopefully be painting after the "cold" front passes through, I just want a nice day with lower humidity!

zroof.jpg

Looks good from what I can see! Is that JUST high build primer - or did you skim coat it, with filler, to fill any larger pits?

here's what I did

Hi, thanks!! here's what I did: of course sandblasted, metal cleaner/metal prep(both PPG), three coats of epoxy primer, then JP202 2k primer(of which I told is a high build primer), then had to glaze(a very neat filler) the pits, then epoxy primer again. Wet sanded followed by scotchbrite yesterday and it looks great! I kept thinking that the pits will fill to match the higher surfaces~NOT. It took the glazing filler to finally match the levels from the deepest pits to the actual level of the roof(if that makes any sense!).
dne'

"70_Fastback" said:
Looks good from what I can see! Is that JUST high build primer - or did you skim coat it, with filler, to fill any larger pits?

New paint (again!)

Seems like I've been here before!
It actually looks better in this photo,but wet sanding, the buffing it out in a week or so should hopefully take car of that! Overall I'm pleased!!
newpaint2.jpg

a few more photos

I still have fenders, front valance, bumpers, tail sections, and headlight buckets to paint. Just didn't have room to paint everything in my garage, but this was enough work for one day! Darn that's a lot of work, but challengingly fun!!

newpaint.jpg

newpaint3.jpg

newpaint4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it outside!

Hey, thanks Kat! I got it out of the garage to wash the floor a little bit. Next week Gary will be out of town for several days, so I should be able to finish painting the rest of the parts~ then put it together, then go get the tags and insurance! I've got the title in my name already, but I may yet put this on the street before the years is out!! How exciting!
newpaint5.jpg

Back